HTC VIve pro do i need the basestation

Zere

hi, im wondering if you need the basestation or anytin else then the Vive headset to use it, i have tried to set it up but all its showing is whitescreen when i try to use it with any vr app or video

The Vive Pro uses SteamVR tracking and thus requires a pair of basestations to function. 

If you purchased an HMD only upgrade kit, you must already have a pair of SteamVR 1.0 basestations and controllers. There was an an additional SKU generated that enabled users who don't have previous controllers and basestations to purchase them alongside the Pro. Soon, we will have announcements about the roleout of SteamVR 2.0 basestations and controllers. 

• 2 months later...

, the system does require at least 1 basestation to function, even if you're using it for seated experiences. If you're using gen 1 basestations, you would set the channel selection to mode "A". When using one basestation, especially in seated experiences, you'll have the most luck with mounting the basestation over the playspace because it reduces the chances of occlusion affecting your tracking. Since you'll only be using one, if it loses sight of that basestation the screen will grey out until line of sight is reestablished since there isn't a second basestation to provide full 360 coverage. 

Archived