Compositor is unable to create device

Ryan6548 1

So ive got my htc vive and its giving me the error code 405: Compositer Unable to Create Device.

I have an inspiron 15 laptop with a Nvidia GEFORCE GTX GPU. I already swithced the use of the vive from the standard intel card to the GTX. At this point im completely lost and have no clue what to do to make the error code go away. Somebody help pls.

Hi 

Are you connecting to the laptop via any adpators or is it direct from the linkbox to the HDMI port (I'm assuming this is the non-Pro Vive correct?)

If you can share your system report that would be helpful to look at as well. 

Thanks!

JohnG

Directly from the link box, and its a non pro vive. I actually figured out that my GPU isnt powerful enough to power the Vive. So I have another question. My laptops exact model is a dell inspiron 15 7559 and it has a nvidia gtx960m. What graphics card should I buy to have it VR ready? 

Thank you for helping me, computers are not my forte at all.

The GTX 960m is technically underspec. It has ~20-80% of the performance of the desktop 960 (which is also under the 970 minimum) depending on OEM specs. We recommend a 1060 as our min spec noaways but at launch recommended a 970.

In some instances these laptops revert the display output to the onboard Intel graphics rather than driving the HMDI output or they fail to drive the HMD in "direct mode". That said I haven't really seen much luck in situations with others whom have a 960m based laptop. 

Archived