Vive focus controller not connecting to HMD

Milguo

Hello everyone,

I've just received one Vive Focus HMD and I can not pair the controller with the headset. The LED indicator in the controller is permanently lit in white and the HMD does not detect it. The english manual says that this light indicates the controller's firmware is beeing updated but this is the only state I've seen since I placed the batteries inside the controller. Does anyone know how to reboot the controller to its original state or this is something that can only be fixed replacing the controller? 

Thank you David for your response but that didn't work for me.

The white light in the controller still doesn't blink and the HMD doesn't detect it. That is keeping me stucked in the first step of the configuration of the headset. It seems to me that it might be a firmware problem in the controller and, if that is the case, since there is no usb connector I guess that the only way to fix it is sending it back to the factory. :smileysad:

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I got it working but it took me a while. First I tried this a couple of times but did not work and the controller was still blinking each time I clicked the volume button. I restarted it by taking the battery off and put it back on. Then I pressed both volume down buttons for at least 20" or more. There is a blink in the UI but you should still hold the buttons after seeing the blink.

Then they paired correctly.

• 3 weeks later...

We got our 2 Vive Focus headsets last week, but today one of the two has problems connecting with it's paired controller. Tried to repair it with the suggested methods multiple times (holding volume down on headset and controller while putting the headset on), but couldn't get them to pair.

Did the button combination change in the newer firmware versions?
Is there a way to factory reset the device without navigating through the menu (which isn't possible without a paired controller)?

Copying a reply that  made that got lost when I moved this thread to the WaveSDK forum for greater visiblity: 

wrote:

We got our 2 Vive Focus headsets last week, but today one of the two has problems connecting with it's paired controller. Tried to repair it with the suggested methods multiple times (holding volume down on headset and controller while putting the headset on), but couldn't get them to pair.

Did the button combination change in the newer firmware versions?

Is there a way to factory reset the device without navigating through the menu (which isn't possible without a paired controller)?

that was actually not my post...

What I said is that when I got it to work, which has been just two times, it did not work right away and that what I did was to first rise the volume to the max and then hold both "volume down" buttons at the same time. Not sure if this is actually doing anything.

Hi All,

If you'd like to Factory Reset the device, then: 

1.) Make sure that the Focus is powered off.

2.) Hold the volume up/down keys at the same time and at the same time press the power button.

3.) You should see a bootup menu.

4.) Press the volume buttons to cycle through the menu (go to Reboot to Download mode).

5.) Use the power key to confirm your selection.

6.) Inside the headset you should see an option for "Factory Reset".

7.) Select that option, by using the volume keys. 

8.) Press power key to confirm. 

9.) If successful you should see the Vive logo and a percentage counter. Within 30-60 seconds you will be taken to setup screen with Chinese text and an English VO called Vive Dimensions.