Vive Pro error 400 - launch compositor --> suggested fixes not working

geo1967

Got my Pro today. Update Nvidia and HTC drivers to current. I have an Asus GTX 1080Ti that I have in a breakout box connected to my minipc via TB3. When the Steam VR app launches, get error 400 stating to launch compositor? I have tried the fixes discussed here and problem still persists. I have gone into Nvidia control panel - 3D - and selected the 1080 as the preferred device. When I go to programs and select Steam, it is set to use 1080. Under add programs, I added all of the steam associated apps. After a reboot, my screen is blank and the external GPU has no video output?

Really confused! My original Vive worked like a charm out of the box. Not the case with the Pro. 

• 2 weeks later...

Same here.

Tried install it on two different gaming rigs, one with Nvidia GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 and different hardware (one home-built and one Lenovo Factory built PC) with exactly the same issue. Tried reinstalling, removing drivers, using various settings in Steam VR, removing software and drivers etc.  to get the systems as clean as possible. Still compositor continues to crash. I have a third system with a GTX 1060 that I will try as well....but I don´t have much hope left since I´ve been at it for three weeks now..... :-(
I also tried using HDMI to monitor in case using two Display-ports confuses the compositor...but no.

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same issue.  Working with HTC support chat, he says "Yeah, compositor error has something to do with your drivers and SteamVR so will try to troubleshoot this here for you.  "  

He had me unplug the Link Box and plug it back in, then restart Steam VR, this re-loaded the drivers and it's working now.

If you're still having issues you can always try to reinstall windows 10 but delete everything from your boot drive and reinstall all the updates to windows and other apps you had before it's a bit of a long process depending on your internet and CPU but it fixed all of the problems I had with my htc vive pri

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To me the solution was to use the original cable with a displayport to mini-displayport adapter. I tried a mini-displayport to mini-displayport cable and it didn't work. With a hdmi to mini-displayport, the headset isn't found.

Archived