HMD Overheating, Being Charged For RMA

Coty

I bought my vive 1 year and 1 day ago. I was having tracking issues and was trying fixes online, but nothing helped. I realized the unit was overheating, and the issues went away when you cool it down. They start after some time of play, usually 20 minutes or so, but only in the warmer months in a 80F temp playspace. All issues disappear when a common household fan is pointed at the HMD. I sent it in to HTC for repair, got it back and it was still broken. I sent it back again, got it back, and it worked this time, but it was also cooler temp now, and my playspace is 60F instead of the 80F when it was overheating. Now that it is warm outside again, the problem is back. I sent in a ticket about a week ago, before my warranty was up. I didn't get an email response until today. The email I got was that unfortunately my warranty had expired. 

1) The warranty should "renew" somehow when you get it repaired. How do I know you didn't break something inside while repairing it? You should guarantee ALL products you ship with the same promise, including the broken ones people had to send you for a second chance.

2) I sent the request before it expired if we want to be technical.

3) I can't say it was intentional, but the timing is super shady. Wait until my warranty is up and THEN finally respond saying my warranty is up? For real?

If anyone that would like to help can, here is a thread that accurately describes my issue. I would really just like a working Vive for the $800 I paid. Thanks for looking!

https://community.viveport.com/t5/Technical-Support/Overheating/td-p/8591

hahaha this company is a **bleep**ing joke. Just had a call with Chris where he told me that he agrees with me but he has to put aside his personal feelings and stick to the professional agenda. He said my unit was activated in January '17, but I bought it in May '17, receipt in front of me. He said they would try to fix it for a third time if I could provide the receipt. I told him that if I sent it in to fix, I'll get it back after summer and after it cools down, so I won't know if it's fixed until the following summer. He agreed that I was basically SOL and that he couldn't do anything about it. Told me he "didn't have a supervisor" (lol) 

I'm seriously regretting buying this thing. If I spent all this time working instead of troubleshooting/talking to support... Anyone think I should upload the call somewhere? :)

This is concerning... I'm currently emailing with Chris as well regarding my overheating headset.

Fortunately as the UK is still a part of the EU (at least until next March) we benefit from a mandatory 2 year warranty, which is just as well as my HMD was bought for me back in November 2016. The part that worries me though is the fact that you've had your headset in for repair twice and maybe a third time now, but you still have the same fault, it makes me somewhat reluctant to send mine to them if it's not going to do any good. If it is the case that they take forever to 'repair' faulty items, and they don't actually fix the problem, I may consider fixing it myself and be done with it. I use my HMD pretty much every day for Elite so I'll be less than happy if I'm without it for months and get it back with the same problems that I sent it off with.

I think I might insist on a replacement rather than a repair...

• 2 weeks later...

You can try. I tried to explain to Chris that if they repair again and fail again, I'm out of my warranty window once it's not winter anymore and it can actually overheat. He all but told me I was SOL. He refused to refund or replace, and would only repair if I sent in a photo of the receipt. I will probably just drill **bleep**ing holes in it if it keeps overheating when I get it back. So sick of HTC, their customer support/policies are the worst. I should have just fixed it myself the first time instead of being worried about OH NO VOIDING MY WARRANTY!!!! Like that does any good.

Just got off the phone with Alejandro (unsure of spelling, sorry!) who seems like he has the same job as Chris. This was actually a productive phone call. Possibly because I was getting particularly "proof providing" in chat and said I would contact BBB if they didn't repair it... (American company that keeps other companies in check)

So here's what Alejandro told me, he said this is only the third time he's seen this problem not be solved be a repair. I think that means the odds are in your favor of it resolving the issue.

He worked with me on it and I am appreciative and surprised. He agreed to the RMA all being under warranty. Which has happened 3 times actually, but they pulled the rug out from under me each time, citing some BS reason they can't. That's why this thread is 2 weeks old :D

He also said that if the issue crops back up next summer, when it'll be out of warranty, that they will take into account that it had 3 failed repairs and not leave me out in the cold. I recorded this conversation so I should be pretty safe if they fail to repair it again. Good luck with yours!

Ah, yeah... I don't think the UK's Consumer Rights act (2015) is going to be of much use to you sadly :(.

For us imperialist world colonizers ( :p ) it's a little better, we have up to 6 years to have an item replaced or repaired if anything goes wrong, or a partial refund if those two options are not possible. Our protection is with the retailer though, so my brother is about to chase the company that we purchased it from, and even if they try to screw us over, his credit card provider is jointly liable, so hopefully in a few weeks I'll have a replacement HMD.

Hell yeah man, that's awesome. We need something like that here. Companies are getting worse and worse. Selling crap that is designed to break after 18 months is not a joke and is a real thing that they do over here. Finding a company that offers a 2 year warranty with a product is difficult, 5 years? Ha! Everything is turning to junk and our culture is so "disposable" minded that 9/10 people don't take action when they get screwed over, and that just teaches companies that they can get away with it. It's getting out of hand quickly.

Archived