Vive pro wireless adaptor and laptop

Gui.

Just a last question about the future vive wireless adaptor. Is it possible to plug in on the Alienware 15r4?? I saw it needs a pci express port. If not, can you give the solution please.

Hello,

Thanks for your answer, but when you said “TPCast would be the next fallback option”, I don’t thing there is a compatibility between those 2 devices vive pro an tpcast?

, you're correct. I apologize, I don't keep up to date with that project. I'm sure third parties are working on wireless solutions but it's hard to say which will come to market and potential implementations. As stated above, we've only announced plans for a PCI-E platform when it comes to the first party wireless solution. 

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello. I have just received my Alienware Area 51m laptop. This laptop is a powerhouse. I have the wireless adapter all setup on my regular Dell desktop and it works great, no issues at all. No lag, no quality loss. It's great. However, I want to be able to use it with my laptop so I can play VR in a bigger space. I ended up purchasing a T3 to PCIe external box...I got it all hooked up and it worked, but it was lagging. So much so that it is unusable. I have returned that item and am wondering if there is another way? I have the trackers and everything so I really want to figure out how to use the wireless adapter on this laptop. It has been a year since the original post, so I would expect there to be some resolution by now.

I would also note that I can keep the wireless setup on my desktop and use the wired setup on my laptop, but it isn't easy switching back and forth since  you have to take the headset apart to switch out the cables.

An external enclosure unfortunately won't work - there are driver incompatibles at numerous layers of the tech stack. The current iteration the Vive wireless product is a desktop only product as indicated in it's minimum requirements.

When the wireless adapter first launched, we did pretty extensive testing on a variety of enclosures & laptops and found that the "mix and match" nature of how laptop OEMs pull components from a variety of vendors makes the driver situation pretty atrocious for niche applications like using external-PCI slots with wireless adapter. We haven't really found a stable enough combination to share with the public - we will if we find one. Skylake CPUs work better than Kaby Lake CPUs which are more or less completely unplayable. We'll keep exploring the situation but for the time being, the current SKU of Vive Wireless is a desktop only product and PCI-E expansion options will not deliver a playable experience. Note the drivers I'm referencing are on the OEM side; alot of this would fall into the territory of other OEMs and hardware manufacturers - we're still exploring things we can impact on our side as well. 

I often have to switch between wired and wireless in my lab; I just keep the wireless adapter mounted and just bypass it and plug the long HMD tether from the linkbox into the HMD.  I'm used to it being up there so it doesn't really bother me and it's a 30 second switch once you do it a few times. It's not the best UX but it's quick and dirty. 

Thank you for the response! I will watch out to see if a laptop option becomes available. I have this new laptop from Alienware that is supposed to be really good, so hopefully something ends up working.

I was just worried that switching back and forth between wired and wireless would cause wear and tear on the headset. I dont' want to ruin the headset...