Vive Pro miniDP to DP adapter

Vaey

Hello,

I want to buy the vive Pro but for that I need a 7.5m DP cable to extend linkbox to pc.

I got a cable but now i need a minidp to dp adapter. Will this work? I really would love to get me the pro but it would be senseless if I can't extend the cable or use this adapter.

I would highly recommend against attempting to extend a Displayport connection beyond 2 meters, especially with the addition of an adapter into the signal chain. DP is a very loose standard and your cable manufacturer may not be within the tolerances required to deliver the bandwidth required to run the Pro. Only a handful of cables have proven to work past 2 meters and extensions are currently considered to be unsupported by Vive

, HDMI and DP are very different standards from a technical standpoint and you can't really draw direct comparisons between the two. DP is really designed for short distance high bitrate content and the standard is really only designed for cables under 2m. To add onto this. DP is a very loose standard overall so while something may be DP 1.2+, that doesn't always mean much since manufacturers can have a ton of variability. While it's likely possible to find a cable within spec to fit your needs, the odds are that the majority of cables will not. When looking at a cable, the key is bitrate; you'd want the cable to support at a minimum 20Gbps. When you think about it, you're trying to get that much bandwidth through not just the 7.5m of extension but also the ~5m of cable for the HMD. That's a massive cable run and there is a ton of room for interference and loss of signal. 

While this may be disappointing, I'd hate to see you embark upon a path of trial and error on trying to get the HMD to work. 

I wouldn't recommend switching to Pro if the 7.5m extension is an absolute requirement for your playspace. You could try verifying your cable if you have a friend with a Pro, ask a local meetup group or business to quickly test the cable, or find a store with a demo unit and ask if they'd be willing to let you give it a shot. As stated above, there is a pretty high likelihood that your existing cable won't work unless it happens to be very high quality cable that supports 4K video at 20Gbps. Assuming your cable doesn't work, you'll likely find yourself very frustrated by the prospect of trying to find a system that will work. 

Archived