Vive Pro Audio

Ziyadah

Something needs to be fixed with the DSP for the included headphones on the Vive Pro.

I've updated firmware to latest, I've tried every option of settings in Windows 10, and regardless, the headphones still sound tinny and lacking bass.  This is very definitely *not* a pure hardware issue, I can install a third party equalizer and get plenty of bass, but those invariably cause a lot of compression issues and sound balancing problems.  Nor is this an issue with the headphones sitting too loosely on my ears, even after pressing them in tight the bass is still super anemic.

Please figure this out.  Getting old having to use a separate pair to get decent sound.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it seems like they really put the B team on the Vive Pro audio design. I am having the same problems you are. It seems to be a highly unstable design. I have actually seen the pro oscillate between different audio drivers. I had to reset the headset to get it functioning again. I hope they fix it soon. The pro outputs very tinniy audio, or none at all, or it works fine. I am not sure how to get it to connsistently work all the time. It seems kind of silly to wear a seperate  set of headphones to get decent audio, especially afte paying for the Vive Pro.

Which of the two audio devices works best for you? Have you tried disabling the non-functional audio driver in Window's "Sound" settings and leaving it disabled to prevent SteamVR from initializing the  incorrect driver? Does the Nvidia driver produce the best sound profile of the two?  

The Vive speaker driver is just plain tinny and I really had trouble getting that to work. The only one I managed to get decent sound out of was the Nividia sound driver. I think it sometimes get confused with the HDMI driver output to my monitor speakers.  Sometimes I have to reset everything to get it working.

- WWatson

We've seen some reports that users may have better luck starting their PC with the linkbox turned off and that they only turn on once logged in but this may be hardware dependent. Are you able to disable the offending audio device and leave it disabled? 

On the topic of restarting, I've said this in other threads but Unity apps will always need to be restarted when altering audio devices. 

Thank you for your advice. I was on the road and I must admit that your response didn't register with me. I have per your direction disabled the Vive Pro mutimedia driver. I will try it soon and let you know how it goes. As for disabling the Monitor HDMI sound driver, I will do that as soon as I acquire some speakers that I can plug into my sound card. I do cycle the linkbox when things go squirly. I will make sure it is off for now on when I start up the PC.

Thanks

- Walt Watson

, I'd add on that when power cycling the linkbox, you should wait ~30 seconds before turning it back on to prevent windows from tripping over itself during the plug and play reconfiguration process. 

In general, you may also have luck with using the "set as default" option to denote to windows what your preferred option would be. As all of this is plug and play hardware designed to be used across a wide array of hardware and software environments, it can be really hard to understand what windows is even attempting to do as it's very specific to your hardware, drivers, and in some cases how your hardware is physically connected. 

Archived