durable controllers?

Thaweryn

So I bought this and literally not anymore then 24 hours later I accidentally hit my controller on the corner of a shelf which left a small dent just under one of the sensors which it killed the controller completly. First hit that it had taken and it died? Are all the controllers that delicate? I contacted support about getting it looked at to see if it was something faulty in manufacturing because it died completly wont even charge and  i've read online about controllers literally being thrown at walls and only lost tracking. Funny enough support agreed to look at it in an email but then told me that they wouldn't look at it that the email they had sent me was just to get the details they needed in advance. Anyone else had this happen?

If it's shorting the power (positive connected to negative), I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't turn on. That being said, repair should be as simple as replacing the dented shell, the wiring, and if necessary, the sensor.

My only question is how hard did you hit it? I've smacked my cupboards, my head, my TV and the wall, and mine's going along fine, but mine doesn't have dents in it...

Also, going by some of the reviews for Gorn, I don't think you're the only one. I vaguely remember somebody saying they had to fight one handed after smashing their controller... The Gorn Launch Trailer on YouTube points out the need for a decent play area pretty well...

, since they're motion controllers, they're definitely built to take as much of a beating as possible within the design constraints and overall, they tend to be pretty impact tolerant. Each impact places unique forces on the internal components - I wouldn't recommend trying to compare different kinds of impacts. If you hit the corner of a metal object that could easily translate to dozens and possibly hundreds of PSI depending on the impact area and force applied. 

In this case, I would recommend following through with an RMA as there is virtually no way to asses physical damage without opening the controller and inspecting it. Our turnaround times within North America are currently in a good position. 

. That's what I was thinking when it broke though for something made to be moved around the design would've had to taken in to account the possiblity of it being hit. I already talked to support about getting the controller looked at but they refused saying that I had broken the controller through hitting it against something so the warranty is void. Even though I just wanted it looked at to see if something inside was loose in manufacturing. Like I said I had this control for less the a day before it stopped working.

Archived