Headset not tracking. Nothing seems to be working.

binraix

I got a new HTC Vive set like a week ago. I had one before and it had no issues what so ever and I never thought about it, but this time, it is making me angry.

Everything worked fine until I installed VivePort, to redeem the gift codes, that came with the set. When I saw that the codes are useless and need my credit card information, I uninstalled everything, but then it happened. HTC Vive headset now has a grey flashing light.

2 days trying everything I have found on forums and on Youtube, nothing seems to work. I did system restore as well to a point before the VivePort and the results are still the same. Something happened to headset and I don't know why. Controllers are green at first and then go to blue, and finally turn off. As far as I know, that means, that they also are not able to connect with the headset.

Is there a way to fix this or this set is just broken I need to return it? Don't want to waste anymore time on this than I already have. I have 2 year warranty, but I am afraid they keep it like couple of months, which I don't like, because I need it.

, there isn't really anything within Viveport or it's installers/uninstallers that would affect SteamVR or the HMD itself from initializing. You can use this tool to fix any registry errors that may have resulted from the deinstall.

When you say flashing grey light are you indicating the LED status light on the side of the HMD? It typically only does green or red. 

Are you seeing any sort of error codes or other status messages? Have you looked at the SteamVR system report/logs for any potential indication of the issue? 

As a general first rule of troubleshooting, I recommend bypassing the Linkbox's USB and HMDI connections and plugging these two leads directly into your PC (while keeping power flowing through the linkbox). This helps prevent HDCP conflicts. Next, if it's a tracking error specifically (grey screen), try changing the USB port and possibly disabling the camera within SteamVR. 

Windows update 1803 was quite a doozy and using a restore point from prior to 1803 could actually generate conflicts that may actually make it harder to get back up and running. 

One more thing to try. Please try unplugging the Vive and removing all SteamVR USB drivers via the Developer Tab of SteamVR's settings. Afterwards you'll have to restart your PC and then plug the Vive back and the drivers will automatically reinstall. After consulting with some of our Viveport team members, we believe this is likely a hardware issue rather than related to Viveport as Viveport's installation/uninstallation process would not affect SteamVR's core functionality.

The grey flashing light is in the headset, if you put it on. Light on side is red. It goes green only for a little while I do restart headset from the SteamVR menu under devices. Then it stays red all the time. Only error I get is that headset is connected, but not tracking. And this haven't changed after everything. I tryed connecting directly and I did the drivers things twice and it is the same.Best result is, that everything is green for a second, then headset starts blinking on the SteamVR overlay, light goes red, then the controllers go blue until turn off. So headset is the problem 99%. Not sure if this is hardware, which is weird, because it has been stationary all the time and only a week old.

One thing tho. Windows keeps giving me sound notice, that something is connected. Then after like 15 seconds, i get disconnected sound. Then again the connected sound, disconnected sound and it keeps happening until I close Steam.

, this sounds more like a bum HMD or 3-in-1 cable than anything. I find it weird that you get the USB device connect/disconnect audio notifications only when you have SteamVR open, it's surprising that it wouldn't happen during general windows usage. If you'd like to 100% rule it out as a SW/OS issue, you can always attempt a clean install of Windows but I'm certainly not sure if it will result in a positive outcome. 

A similar behavior to the one you've described as been noted when the cables that connect the HMD are not properly seated on the HMD side; reseating the cables HMD side may be helpful.

Does your SteamVR logs have any obvious error messages? 

His problem sounds similar. I haven't tried beta branch. I will try the HTC set with my laptop tomorrow as well. It worked there the last time I used it, so it will give me a clue about the problem, which I think is just bad headset, that needs to be replaced.
Where can I find the beta branch?

Archived