Focus update sideloaded apps

sergio.g

Hi,

we are developing an app for the Vive Focus that does not run through the Viveport store. We are now working on the app updating system that when the installed app is no more the last version, it downloads a new one from our server, deletes the current one and installs the greater version.

We got to a point where the update system does work on a regular Android device, but a permission screen pops up. Oviously on a tablet you can just tab to grant permission for that action, but on the Focus it looks like that screen has no VR UI and the app crashes when trying to reinstall the new version that is downloaded from the server.

Has anyone experienced this or know a solution?

Did you try to add all permissions maybe ?

or maybe it isa difference with public and developper focus version.

i will published soon. it not cool to be blocked like that by the system.

What is your title product ?

Can you make some screenshot to show the problem ?

Thanks for your answer. Indeed it is a permission issue but we can not or do not know a way around it. As I said we do have an update system and our product runs in a tablet and also in the Focus. In the tablet when the updated version is going to be installed a permission window pops up and the user has to tab to allow the system to install that new version of the app. Now, in VR the same happens, but that permission window does not have an UI in VR and this is why it crashes.

We have taken our time to look for a way to disable this permission window and also to grant all permissions to avoid it from showing up, but we have nos succeeded in this.

I have not posted any screenshots because there is nothing to show. Just a slider showing the download progress and a black screen when it installs and then it crashes but still stays black...

Take into account that we are NOT using Viveport for updating our apps. These are downloaded directly from our server.

You would need you to implement a different update mechanism within the app to avoid this security issue even for a controlled b2b environment. So I would recommend a main loader app the can install additional classes(activities) at runtime.

That was actually our procedure. We do have a simplified project with just the updating functionality. I can give you access to the Google Drive folder if you would like to. That system works perfectly in a tablet but not on the Focus. I assume we are not the first one to try an update system on a Vive Focus, are we?

Archived