Vive pro+wireless. Connections if play-area is 14 meter from the computer ?

Torzen

, unfortunately that is not a supported use case. The cable to from the PCI-E card to the transceiver is 2m. The computer side and headset side transceivers have a 6 meter range and must be within the line of sight of each other.

Basically, the PC and the HMD must be in the same room and within ~6-8 meters of each other. 

Hi, and thanks for your answer.

I cant understand that this is not possible ? :-) 

When using the wireless option.....Is the cabling, the same ? I mean...from the computer, there is a hdmi/displayport/audi, to the transceiver. And the transceiver has to be in the play area ? Is that right ?

If yes...What about long cabels from the transceiver to the computer ? I can se, that you can get lonng displayport cabels (15 m) with build ind booster, with no signal loss...?

How do you connect the wireless "thing" to the system ? Via a receiver connected to the transceiver ?

Do you have a grafic chart or something, that gives af overview, of how to connect alle cables ? That will give me an overview. Thanks

Tor

, on the PC side the entire linkbox is replaced by a PCI-E card that's attached via a 2m Coax cable to a wireless transceiver that you mount near your PC. You don't have the typical video and USB cables on the PC side, that's all replaced by the PCI-E card.

On the HMD transceiver side, there are the corresponding ports for USB/HDMI/VivePro to make the final connection with the HMD. The kit will come with a short cable to connect the HMD to the HMD-side transceiver (you'll need to keep in mind which HMD type you're using when ordering to ensure you have the correct short cable on hand). 

Our installation guides are not currently posted as we're still making final revision and the product is still in pre-release.

Hey - again, and thanks for your answer.

Just to be sure.....Is the HMD-transceiver connected to tie PCI-E card ?

Is there absolutely no solution if you want the computer located in another room than the play area? What about long coax, usb, hdmi cables? (displayport-kabels ?)

IF it WILL work with extension-kabels, do you know the max lenght of cabels for the system to work ?

Thanks

, the PC-side transceiver  is connected to the PCI-E card via 2m coax cable. Due to how RF is transmitted via coax and it's susceptibility to interference, we are not endorsing any sort of aftermarket extension or modification of this cable. Overall, the use case I listed above is the only one we're officially supporting at this time which seems to not meet your criteria. In this case, I would recommend sticking with whichever existing wired setup you're currently employing. Overall 14m before your playspace is a massive distance for any sort of high-bandwidth, low-latency video signal to travel, either wired or wireless.  

Thanks David. It gives a great overview. 
But I am surprised, that HTC have not solved the challenge (extension, so that the game area is a bit away from the computer). It's a little clumsy to detach and drag the computer around :-)
I hope that a solution will be coming soon. Because I cant use this system before it is possible.

Just to finish off.

• What are the 3-cabel for (HDMI, USB, ..) ?
  • Do you also have a picture of alle the components of the main box (hmd + base stations, etc.)
  • Is there a chance, that you in the future, can test the system with extension-solutions ?

Tor

As stated, I wouldn't recommend the wireless adapter in your use case.

• The short 3-in-1 connects the HMD-side transceiver with the HMD
  • Not our image but this picture shows the contents of the standard Vive kit.
  • We have no comment on wireless extensions at this point. We do have wired extension options for the standard Vive for enterprise customers, and the Reddit community has a crowdsourced list of HMDI and USB extensions - your results will vary on these solutions. Overall, the engineering challenge of how difficult it is to reliably carry high-bandwidth, low-latency display signals over long cable runs is heavily oversimplified by the consumer VR community. A standard Vive running at 1.0 supersampling requires ~460mbps of bi-directional bandwidth - that's a crazy amount of data ~ 20x times the standard Bluray playback bitrate (20mbps) for context.

Archived