PC acts strange after disconnecting/shutting down vive

Fbmowner

This started happening in the last 3 weeks id say.. I'll load up steam vr, get the vive online, and have a great VR experience.. Once finished I close steam VR and turn off the headset (using TPCAST wireless), and strange things start happening... youtube/IE videos will not play, after a minute my windows toolbar will stop working (as if i am clicking nothing) i get no promps for programs not responding etc. Then if I try to shut the PC down 1 of 2 things will happen, Either It will sit at the windows screeen "shutting down" indefinitly or it will get past that quickly and my displays will turn off but the PC it's self will not shut down.. Boards on, lights are on, fans are spinning and I am then forced  to do a hard shutdown.... Any ideas???

Absolutely when originally trying to diagnose this problem I made sure no TPCast, SteamVR,Vive and Revive applications were running, Even when closing everything out via task manager I still couldnt get the PC to run normally. My system is heavily overclocked but also heavily tested for stability and only have this issue after shutting down SteamVr/tpcast. I have yet to try wired just because of the time its going to take to rewire everything so thats my next step here.

, if it's an issue cased by the SteamVR process, than you should look to your SteamVR system report to see if it's captured. Windows error reporting services may also capture the error. 

Overall, it sounds like you have a pretty non-standard setup including overclocking, 3rd party SteamVR dashboard and compatibility apps, and 3rd party accessories which include both hardware and software elements. Every single one of these may need to be scrutinized for you to find the root issue - Hopefully it's just easily visible in SteamVR's logs but this kinda sounds like something is leaking memory or that a process is hanging - potentially SteamVR itself as it shuts down the compositor. 

If the issue ends up being in the SteamVR/TPCast integration, you'll need to contact them for assistance. 

Archived