Maximum Lighthouse Distance

Hex21189

I wanted to check what the current maximum distance is allowed between lighthouses. I know the previous recommended maximum was 5 meters but I saw a few news articles claiming that the latest lighthouse with steamtracker2 support significantly larger distances. My company recently ordered a new Vive (approximately 1 month ago) but while I was testing them they seemed to stop working after the recommeded 5 meters. Has there been any hardware updates that increase the distance or was this misreporting by the news? Ideally I'm looking for a way to create an indoor play area of 20 to 30 meters.

SteamVR 2.0 stations are rated to 6 meters rather than 1.0's 5 meter rating. In reality, the range of a station will be entirely based upon the environmental conditions of the space they're operating in and will vary accordingly. The way you get larger spaces is to array stations together - Currently you can have 4 stations utilized by a SteamVR tracking session.

At this point, SteamVR does not support the sized space you're after (and you'll have a very hard time with getting the display signal to the HMD at that scale). You can likely contact them directly about your use case as SteamVR and Steam Tracking are their technology. 

Archived