Two headsets on one PC?

NickT

I was wondering what it would take to run two headsets on one PC. I built my PC with specs higher than the VR minimum, but it's not a "monster PC". Also, what specs would be needed to run two headsets decently, and how would this work. Also, would I need two sets of lighthouses or would I be able to use just one set?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

This slipped by due to wireless launch and I wanted to make sure you had a response. It's very difficult to get two SteamVR sessions running via a single motherboard and it's only "feasible" in enterprise and LBE instances where specific hardware and VM software is in use. It's questionable at best in IRL situations as the computing architecture simply isn't there in consumer hardware. It's frankly far cheaper and easier to just get two mid-range PC's. You could get a 1060 equipped laptop so you have a mobile gaming rig that's also VR capable. 

I've seen someone run a Vive HMD and an Oculus off a single workstation before (as they use different compositors) but even then, it was a >$4500 workstation. 

You can use multiple HMD's/SteamVR tracked devices off a single pair/array of lighthouses. 

This slipped by due to wireless launch and I wanted to make sure you had a response. It's very difficult to get two SteamVR sessions running via a single motherboard and it's only "feasible" in enterprise and LBE instances where specific hardware and VM software is in use. It's questionable at best in IRL situations as the computing architecture simply isn't there in consumer hardware. It's frankly far cheaper and easier to just get two mid-range PC's. You could get a 1060 equipped laptop so you have a mobile gaming rig that's also VR capable. 

I've seen someone run a Vive HMD and an Oculus off a single workstation before (as they use different compositors) but even then, it was a >$4500 workstation. 

You can use multiple HMD's/SteamVR tracked devices off a single pair/array of lighthouses. 

Archived