Vive Sudden Bad Controller Tracking

Sprinxx

I've had my Vive for over a year now with little to no issues until just recently. I bought a new controller and while playing some beat saber I began noticing the controllers spazzing out. I tried rotating my play area which didn't help. I've tried switching from Usb 3.0 to 2.0, Swapping lighthouses/changing modes (yes I was using the sync cable). I've tried different drivers and checking if the IR lights were working (which they we're). I've removed any glass/reflective surfaces in the room and cleaned the lighthouses. Everything suggested I've tried at this point and still have bad tracking. What I've noticed is that every tracking device (controllers and trackers) has this spazzing issue and they seem to move slightly whenever I'm not touching the devices or moving them much. (the headset's tracking however is perfectly fine) I don't know what to do anymore and I really need help.

And just to clarify, I have reran room set up and tried my lighthouses in different positions with no luck. As stated before the headset itself has perfect tracking. The controllers or any of my trackers however are having issues.

Are you describing "judder" where the device's virtual location bounces around a small area or are these massive jumps greater than an two inches? Judder differs between different devices (i.e. trackers vs controllers) due in part to the different layout of the sensors. The IMU on the HMD is used in part to increase the accuracy of the headpose - that may be why the judder on that device differs from the controllers. 

If you're seeing massive jumps, and they're strictly limited to one controller and it's reliably the same controller, I would suspect a hardware issue on the controller in question. Perhaps the cable that connects the sensor ring is partially-detached from the main board. 

I referred to those controllers as an example of tracking devices I tested that were having issues. This issue has come up suddenly on every one of my controllers which is highly unlikely that every controller would have the same issue all at once. Additonally I bought a brand new controller recently due to the warranty being expired and unrelated issues coming up. My tracking issues actually started the day I got my new controller, the old controller was starting to have poor tracking so I unplugged my new one and I had the same problem. Additonally the problem was originally happening to the second controller I connected, now both the first and second controller plus anything I connect seems to act this way. What I'm finding is they tend to move even if I'm not touching them. For example the controllers tend to want to float forward and backwards. Any fast movements sometimes makes the controller spazz out. The longer I run steam VR the worse the problem seems to get.

Archived