Vive Pro USB connection and DisplayPort connection not detecting

ykamenet

Hi,

I just purchased a Vive Pro Kit to upgrade my original Vive. The orginal Vive worked just fine on my system with no issues. However, I can't get through setup with Vive Pro. It can not detect USB or DisplayPort connection. The box has a green light and the HMD has a red light. I do not see any devices being installed except Vive Pro Bootloader when box is powered on. Here are the things I have tried so far:

- Used all USB ports that I have on the system, same problem.

- Removed all USB drivers using SteamVR as well as Device manager and reconnected the box, same issue

- Used USBDeview and removed all vendorID 0bb4 devices (as described here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?s=99fc613679d414ac10dc0dc9898716eb&ref=2748-WEIK-9562) and reconnected the box, same issue 

- I restored my PC to clean Windows installation thinking maybe something from old Vive is causing it so I stated from a clean Windows install, same issue

- I tried it on a different PC thinking maybe it is something with the machine, same issue on a different PC

I have no idea what else to try, please help. Here are the specs of my PC:

- MSI Z370 GAMING PLUS CFX ATX Motherboard

- Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core LGA 1151 CPU

- EVGA - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 SC Gaming 8GB GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card

- Patriot Memory Viper 4 Series DDR4 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3000MHz (PC4-24000)

- SSD drive

Again, original Vive (non-pro) worked fine but the new Vive Pro is not being detected at all. Please let me know what additional info would help. I am attaching a USBDeview report of the devices that are added when I plugin the box into PC. The only one that is being installed properly is VIVE Pro Bootloader I htink, the others show up but are not identified/installed properly I think. Need some advise here on what could be wrong. 

Thanks

I'm sorry I don't have an answer - but I have the _SAME_ issue, I went through the past two weeks with Vive Support, they determined that it was faulty, so we went through a long RMA process - I just received my new Vive Pro in today, and same issue.

I'm going to try to revert windows 10 to an older update... That's pretty much my only guess as to what to do anymore.

Well, it looks like my HMD is defective. I borrowed another Pro HMD from a friend, plugged it in - and voila, everything installed and detected as it should. I thought maybe the HMD cable is faulty or not seated well, so I took the cable from the one that worked and connected it to my HMD making sure it is plugged in well, and same issue came back. So it is definitely HMD problem and I will need to go through support to RMA it if I can. How long did it take for you to get a replacement and what did they say the issue was? It's terrible that the new one you got has the same problem.... not giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Hearing that pains me to a level I can't describe. It took from 9/20 to today, 10/4 to get the RMA completed. They had me pay return shipping after I asked to be reimbursed they gave me a shipping label (3 days after I had shipped it as they told me to), then told me that because I didn't use their label I couldn't be reimbursed. And now it seems the replacement unit is suffering the same issue. 

Get ready to wait - They do NOT ship the new unit until your unit has arrived at their warehouse and they have inspected and it looks like there's no guarantee they test the unit they send out to you.

This is really not acceptable, I am so disapointed to hear that. I am not sure if HTC is listening, but this kind of customer service is really hurting it's business. Adoption of VR has been slow and not widespread and folks who pay the price for expensive HTC VR products should really feel comfortable that the company stands behind its products when issues like these arise.  People who own VR systems are currently the best marketing for these products and hearing about tis kind of service makes me re-think my decision of going with HTC and certainly any recommendations I would give to people who are interested in getting into VR. 

I am going to contact support and see what they say...  hope you get your case resolved.

UPDATE: Well, just chatted with support. They gave me an RMA number to ship it. Did not want to cover return shipping at all and told me it will be two weeks or so from the time they receive it. No advance exchange possible, which I can understand but not willing to cover the shipping for a defective item really bothers me. I hope it will actually get repaired. 

Archived