Nvidia Drivers 397.64

nokido

Hi, these seems to be the only drivers that gives me good performance in simracing sims like Assetto Corsa, iRacing and Raceroom and others. The problem is that with these drivers I can't load most recent games like Battlefield V Open Beta... Is there a newer driver that is known not having performance issues with these simulators.

With the last SteamVR update Assetto Corsa went from 89-90 fps to 54fps, same settings... with the latest drivers 411.xx from nvidia. Then I rolled back to 397.64 and it's ok by now.

Any hints on this?

Thank you.

My system:

HTC Vive 

Windows 10 Pro 64

I54690k @ 4.5 Ghz w/ Corsair H100i

MSI Gaming 5 Z97
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16 GB DDR3 RAM  - 2400MHZ

I just tried to update a GB GTX 1080 to 416.16 and it totally hosed VR performance in *everything*.  Furthermore, the card was so hot it almost burned me and the fans were not even running.  I rolled back to 388.13 and everything works fine with those.  I'm lucky I didn't brick my card.  YMMV - Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5, Ryzen 7 1700.

wrote:

- you may want to let Nvidia know about that as that sounds pretty critical

Definitely.  I haven't seen anything like that since the Diamond MM Viper 770 days.

For more info - I updated to those drivers and fired up Space Pirate Trainer (good test program).  I got through one wave and it started stuttering like mad.  It's been so long since I've seen a heat related anomaly that I thought it was a simple setting I was missing.  I stared at the dropped frames and frequency and finally leaned over and touched the vid card which almost burned me.  Then I noticed no fans spinning.  A simple roll back of the driver and they kicked on immediately.

I just wanted to follow up on this in case it comes up in a search or something.

My vid card:  Gigabyte GeForce GTX1080 DX5 8GB

Problem: Fans not working with driver update (Nvidia 416.16) - games die (blatant heat-graphics issues) quickly and card gets very hot.

The solution is one of two things - first, my MB drivers did not update properly and I was still on old versions.  This *may* have been the problem but I think it is more likely related to the video card manfacturer software.  In my case, this was the Gigabyte "Aorus Engine" software (other manufactures have similar software).  Upon initial installation, this software would fail to run so I thought nothing of it as the system was working.  When I updated the Aorus Engine, I got it to run so the GUI would display.

My guess is that with the intial installation, the card was in some particular "mode" (this card has "gaming", "silent", "OC", and so on) that was set at the manufacturer.  This mode combined with the new driver caused the fans not to spin.  The Aorus Engine default is "gaming" mode so once I fired it up, it may have set this in the video card and from there, the fans worked normally.  Again, my guess.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies, i'm writing just to inform you all that I have now my computer fully updated with all the latest drivers (MB and GPU) and windows updates. Assetto Corsa and Raceroom seems to be the only games that cause stuttering and low fps (AC) and blue flashes (R3E).

iRacing is smooth and with really good graphics settings (med/high but it depends of the tracks, I always have to adjust something). All other VR games are smooth and with High graphics settings.

However I'm getting some strange stuttering in Steam VR Home but only in Menus, have no clue on that...

Yesterday my controlers had a firmware update.

Regarding temperature issues with GPU, I've noticed that it is a little bit hotter than before but only in very demanding games reaches 72ºC Maximum. The usual is 60º to 65º.

Another Issue is that the Bluetooth controler is not working, but I didn't have time to try to fix it!

Have VR fun in your Weekend!

Archived