Everything looks tiny!

VampSteph

Hello, I just got the Vive and I set everything up exactly as it said. Everything says it’s working good, and it is all running fine, except everything is being rendered in the headset as if it is tiny. When I hold my remotes at arms length they look as if they are at my bicep, and when I look at the room border lines over 2 meters across the room they look right at the edge of my fingers. I can’t find anyone else with this problem online and I have tried running through the set up again, moving the base stations, and I have combed through every setting on the Vive and in steamvr but to no avail. If there is anyone who can help me figure this out I would be so grateful.

This is pretty weird report. Is the actual scale of the virtual worlds incorrect or does it seem like a visual distortion? For instance, if you walk a foot IRL, does it correspond to a massive translation in the virtual world?

If possible have another person try the HMD to rule out perception as a cause. Do you have any sort of vision impairment or use corrective lenses? This could be mismatch between the optics of your eyes and the HMD. 

Have you tried adjusting the eye relief at all?

describes the process - this may help align the focal planes. 

Are you operating in direct mode? Do you see black boarders around the image indicating that it may be rendering at an incorrect scale. What is your GPU? 

Okay, the best way I can describe the issue, is that my eyes in the virtual world are floating way to far apart. If I hold my controllers out straight in line with my shoulders, and I look through my eyes one at a time, I can see that my eyes are floating above my shoulders instead of in my head.

So , did you try what recommended in his post? AND when adjusting what he asked you to adjust, can you describe what that did exactly?

Also, could you respond to his other questions? 

Without clear/accurate answers to those questions, and about adjusting the eye releif as he pointed out doing, it will be very difficult to continue helping.

Archived