HTC Vive Not Ready with (208) error

Shzler

Hello there,

I have and HTC Vive and two gaming laptops, my HTC vive works perfectly with one of the laptops (my boyfriends). I recently ran the steamVR performance test on my laptop and it says I should be able to run high quality VR. I have finally downloaded everything I need onto my laptop but when I connect the headset I get the red 'Not Ready' message from steamVR with a prompt to reboot the headset and a troubleshooting link for error (208). I have tried rebooting the headset, it goes through the whole reboot process and at the end even says its successfully connected but then when it restarts steamVR it has the same error messages. I have tried unplugging and plugging everything back in SEVERAL times. I have updated my NVIDIA graphics card driver to the most recent version (I have a GTX980M). I set my power management on my graphics card to prefer high performance. I also tried bypassing the link box by directly plugging in the headset to my computer on the advice of another thread, and this actually sort of worked, it detects everything this way and the laptop monitor shows the headset tracking, but the headset display itself blinks in and out. Once again the VR set works perfectly with the other laptop but with mine for some reason it has issues. 

Any more troubleshooting advice would be extremely appreciated, as my boyfriend is getting sick of me stealing his laptop every time I want to play VR lol.

Thank you,

The 980m is kind of hit and miss as it's less powerful than a desktop 970. It seems to depend alot on the laptop's motherboard and other specs. It seems like you've tried most of the troubleshooting steps I'd recommend in this case.

The one other thing I can think of is to go into SteamVR's video settings and setting a manual override sampling value to below 100% (maybe start at 50%). Reducing quality may allow that specific laptop to run some apps.

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G751JY/specifications/

The above links to my laptops specifications, so is it still possible for my laptop to test ready for high quality VR even though my system isn't ready? Turning down the sampling value did not affect my computers ability to detect the headset with the link box, I started at 50% and went all the way down to 25%. When I plugged it in directly I had the same issues as before as well.

Something else I should maybe mention, when beginning my troubleshooting I tried the first step many times which was to unplug everything and plug it back in. The troubleshooting guides generally say that after doing this I may have noticed drivers installing. However in doing this I never saw a driver install itself. Is it possible my laptop is just missing a driver to allow it to properly recognize the headset over the USB? When bypassing the linkbox even the thing that makes it sort of work is when the USB is bypassed.

I tried the USBDeview and when I plug it in there are still no drivers that download, so when I try to start steamVR it just tells me there is a conflict between my cloud SteamVR files and my computer files. I'm assuming this is because the cloud still has the drivers on it whereas my computer doesn't. I don't want to sync it back up with the cloud though since that would reinstall the same potentially faulty drivers on my computer right? When I click don't copy anything right now it just closes steamVR. Also what I meant by sort of works is the same as what I originally stated, just that when I bypass the USB for the link box I get tracking and detection and everything for my VR but the HMD itself doesn't have a steady screen and blinks in and out. If I route the HDMI through the link box but just bypass the USB it has the same effect as if I bypassed both the USB and the HDMI.

Thanks so much for your help walking me through this.

Archived