Vive wireless Adaptor and Heat Generated

LongHairedDave

Ive been using my new wireless adaptor all weekend, i am in two minds as to being happy or not, on one hand i am free to move around my room with no cable and on the other, my head is very sore from the heat.

This thing seems to generate a lot of heat, even though the adaptor is not very heavy, it still adds some pressure to my head and after about an hour of play i can not only feel it, but it gets painful to play until it cools down.

Is this a thing others are experiencing?

Yes, this is an issue I am experiencing. Part of the discomfort comes from the heat being transferred down through the headstrap, layers of fabric/velcro, and into my head. The other part comes from the strap that holds the wireless adapter on being harder and less comfortable than the soft foam is is wrapping around.

I am considering returning mine because of heat.

I didn't experienced pain but it was feeling uncomfortable and scary, and I stopped, maybe out of paranoia, but that shouldn't happen.

I don't understand how HTC could miss such an issue.

I don't know if it could be fixed or not by a firmware update.

I don't know if the product is defective and could be recalled or not.

Since I have 5 days left to return it, I will take no risk and return it.

I also have some issues like it seems I need to turn off WiFi and some wireless devices otherwise screen is garbeled and the connection is lost.

When it works it works fine though, with no latency and a perfect image, but there is that heat problem ...

Also the way it straps to the deluxe audio strap, it breaks comfort.

You feel a discontinuity and a bump on the head.

It can be avoided by not strapping it, but then it put's you even closer to the heat source.

Really I don't get why this issues are there. Some people should be fired ...

It does not feel so warm to me. On the other hand, the friction combined with the heat which dissipates is very unpleasant after one hour of play.

I will try to insert a piece of microfiber cloth to see if that solves the problem

You can see the temperature here: C:\Program Files\VIVE Wireless\ConnectionUtility\Log

My M-Temperature gets up to 94. I put gold heat reflective tape on my DAS to help keep the heat away from my head, and it works, but it probably makes the adapter get even hotter.

I have the same problem, its getting way to hot.

I meanwhile created something to prevent the heat from spreading downwards, hopefully a temporary workaround.

Below are graphs of my last 2 game sessions.

wrote:

I have the same problem, its getting way to hot.

I meanwhile created something to prevent the heat from spreading downwards, hopefully a temporary workaround.

Below are graphs of my last 2 game sessions. (snip)

Nice information there.

I haven't had a problem with heat issues because I run a ceiling fan on high while playing (directly over play area).  This is in Houston, with high temps and high humidity and upstairs in the house (though, A/C *is* on, the humidity is still felt a bit upstairs).

Unfortunately I need to pull out the fan because I keep smacking it and don't want to destroy my controllers.  I will probably mount one nearby as it seems good airflow pulls the heat off of the wireless.

Same problem here. Just got mine and after about 1h of play time, I need to take it off because it gets uncomfortable.

I ordered from Amazon a USB splitter and an 80mm PC case fan that I want to strap on the thing with velcro tomorrow :)

I'll post the results.

• 2 months later...

I was thinking about adding CPU fan somewhere to cooling  off that adapter.

TO Developers you should kinda  raise adapter off headset strap , like few inches with gap, so heat goes away into air  not transfer heat to strap and next to head.

Archived