Oculus Rift OR HTC VIVE PRO?

focusonvr

Hello,

I currently own Oculus, and I'm considering buying HTC vive, but there seem to be too many options.

I stumbled upon a complete review on FocusOnVR, and I learnt HTC vive is much better than Oculus Go, so I would like you guys to help me make this decision. 

Thank you!

Just hopping in here to say regardless of which desktop HMD you choose, just ensure that you meet (or ideally exceed) the system requirements. Unlike the Oculus Go which has a uniform requirement for all of it's software, all desktop VR hardware has a minimum requirement just to run the hardware at a basic level. There are additional system requirements to run the software itself - these will vary from app to app. Ideally you'll want a GTX 1060 at a minimum. For instance, if you're keen on playing titles like FO4 - be sure to look into what it takes to play that specific title.

If you live in a major city, you can likely find and test a Vive or other competitors at a local meetup, at a VR arcade, or at a store. VR is experiential so what's best for you will depend entirely on what type of experience you'll have - Vive is geared towards embodiment, higher precision tracking, and being able to walk around larger virtual areas. 

Just hopping in here to say regardless of which desktop HMD you choose, just ensure that you meet (or ideally exceed) the system requirements. Unlike the Oculus Go which has a uniform requirement for all of it's software, all desktop VR hardware has a minimum requirement just to run the hardware at a basic level. There are additional system requirements to run the software itself - these will vary from app to app. Ideally you'll want a GTX 1060 at a minimum (1070 for Pro). For instance, if you're keen on playing titles like FO4 - be sure to look into what it takes to play the titles you're specifically interested in.

If you live in a major city, you can likely find and test a Vive or other competitors at a local meetup, at a VR arcade, or at a store. VR is experential so what's best for you will depend entirely on what type of experience you're seeking - Vive is geared towards embodiment, higher precision tracking, and being able to walk around larger virtual areas ("roomscale VR"). SteamVR is a more open HW and software environment than Oculus and so you'll find a wider range of content and integrations. 

It very much depends on your personal needs.

Both headsets offer advantages and disadvantages over the other.

Do your research of the pros and cons of each headset and make a decision from there.

I've had both the Vive and the Rift and decided to stick with the Rift for personal reasons being I like the optics of the Rift better for my dopey eyes. I had a lot of trouble getting to the sweet spot of the Vive lenses and keeping it there while still keeping a level of comfort, most of the time, to get to that sweet spot in the lense, I had to have the Vive resting on my nose with too much weight making it very uncomfortable.

The tracking of the Vive is it's biggest selling point, it's second to none, you can get room tracking with the Rift but you have to add at least one more camera (sensor). Also the Vive is more expandable than the Rift (example you can use the optional trackers for full body tracking with the Vive). As mentioned, you do need a fairly beefy computer, especially video card wise. The experiences you'll have in PC based VR are much better than those on those stand alone headsets (Oculus Go and others) since you're using a LOT more computing power to generate what you are seeing in VR.

All the best to you with your decision, either headset will give you much enjoyment. :)

Archived