VIVE Wireless with PCIE 2.0 ?

Axiochus

I've recently purchased a VIVE Pro with the wireless kit. I originally installed the WiGig card into a PCIe 1x slot. Upon encountering rather random (yet frequent) watchdog violations, I decided to try switching to a the second 'large' (16x?) PCIe slot. According to my mobo's manual, all 1x PCIes are only 2.0, while the two larger ones are both 3.0 (AB350 Pro4).

However, the WiGig does not get recognized in this slot, even after cleaning, checking connections, etc. ('Please shut down your pc an d make sure the WiGig PCIe card is properly inserted'-error). No idea why, no change in bios settings seems to make the card recognizeable to the system. When I slot it into the 1x PCIe, it gets recognized without a problem. In both slots, the card is powered (blue LED glowing).

My question is the following: is it even true that you need PCIe 3.0? I haven't actually heard any official statement to this effect. I.e.: should I try to somehow connect the WiGig to a PCIe 3.0-like slot (e.g. via an M.2 adapter) or is this likely not the issue at all? If it's the latter, I'd just try and solve the issue whilst using the PCIe 2.0 slot (where the HMD actually works most of the time).

That said, so far all watchdog bsods happened during intensive first-time asset load events (i.e. they didn't occur during subsequent loadings of the same app, typically). This suggests that the watchdog violation has something to do with bandwidth bottlenecks. But that's just guesswork at this point :(

Any suggestions? Any surefire ways to make my mobo recognize the WiGig in the 3.0 slot? Any reassurances that PCIe 2.0 is perfectly okay for the WiGig, bandwidth-wise?

Specs:

Motherboard: AB350 Pro4

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600, 16 gigs of RAM

GPU: Radeon RX 580

Bios fully updated, new AMD chipset drivers, Ryzen gaming mode activated, SATA AHCI controller drivers updated, gfx drivers updated, UEFI reset to defaults.

, we don't believe these types of issues to be related to PCI-E slot generation and this is likely related to the cluster of issues tied specifically to Ryzen-based systems. Our investigation remains highly active - it unfortunately takes quite some time to derive statements for customers and end-users as there are numerous companies and OEMs involved. 

Archived