Constantly changing errors (400,306,208)

Badkarmakid

Hello, I recently purchased and recieved my HTC Vive headset and after around 8 hours of troubleshooting (split between 2 days) and trying various fixes found on various forums I have exhausted all available options. Every time I try to fix one error and launch SteamVr to see if its resolved I end up getting a different error its either; 400, 306 or 208. I have tried everything I can possibly think of from uninstalling/reinstalling video drivers, reinstalling the drivers provided by the vive itself, reinstalling SteamVr, checking Nvidia control panel settings, trying different USB and HDMI ports, using different USB/HDMI cables, checking connections of cables PC and HMD side etc. In all of the time that I have been working with it not once has it displayed as ready or worked at all for that matter. I'm pretty sure its not an issue with my machine either as it is above recommended specs. Another curious thing is that the headset is not being recognized as a display by my system even after trying different connections. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What's your GPU/Laptop model? 

As a first step in troubleshooting connectivity issues, I always recommend bypassing the linkbox's USB and HDMI leads. Basically you leave power flowing through the linkbox but plug the USB and HDMI leads on the HMD's 3-in-1 cable directly into your GPU and motherboard. 

I have two EVGA GTX 1080s running in sli with a Zotac high bandwidth sli bridge. I have tried with sli disabled through Nvidia control panel and only using a single card. I have already tried to hook the HMD directly into my GPU and Motherboard and I get the same errors. Quite frustrating.

Are you using any sort of HDMI adapter/intermediate or does your GPUs have a native HDMI port? Are you ever seeing any error codes that indicate that it's an issue with extended/direct modes? What does the "USB" page of SteamVR look like when the HMD is fully plugged in. 

Generally speaking SLI is not really a technology utilized by VR devs - it's really not the best supported technology at both the SteamVR compositor level as well as the application layer where SLI is almost universally unsupported. The ultimate way to rule that out as the source of the issue would be to physically uninstall one of the cards for testing as disabling it in software isn't reliable enough to rule out your video card configuration as the prime culprit. 

While it is possible you have a bum HMD out of the box - that tends to be extremely rare due to factory QA processes and doing a refund/exchange might not solve the issue (and lead to even more frustration).  Within SteamVR there is a system report - that tends to provide more accurate error logs and you may see something that stand out within there. 

Nope, not using any sort of adapters or intermediate devices, my GPU has a HDMI port built in. The only other code I have seen the entire time is a 308, but that was only once. I have tried running extended and direct modes and the errors remain the same.

The USB page reads as follows.

(HMD hooked up to link box)

Vive Link Box:Hub-Good, Hub Controller-grayed out, Bluetooth-Good

Vive Headset:Watchman Board-Good, Camera-Good, Audio Device-Grayed Out, Main Board-Good, Wireless Receivers 1&2-Good

(HMD hooked directly to GPU/Motherboard)

Vive Link Box:Hub-Grayed out, Hub Controller-Grayed out, Bluetooth-Grayed Out

Vive Headset:Watchman Board-Good, Camera-Good, Audio Device-Grayed Out, Main Board-Good, Wireless Receivers 1&2-Good

These are the USB page readings after physically removing my second GPU from my computer. I also looked before removing my GPU and the results were exactly the same. As for the system report I do not feel confident in my ability to sift through all of that information and interpret it in any sort of useful fashion. I will try to send you a copy of my system report in a PM. If you could take a look at it and see if anything raises a flag i would be hugely appreciative. 

Archived