Running Vive HMD off a HMDI Splitter

Andyblake31

My MSI laptop display is not working, I can run it through my TV. If I run a HDMI splitter from the laptop and connect it to the TV and vive headset, will the imagery on the headset be as normal. I.e I run steam vr through tv and VR headset that both feed off the laptop via the splitter. Note I work remotely so fixing the screen is not an option at the moment thanks.

No - the Vive requires "direct mode" communication with end to end HDCP encryption so you cannot use an HDMI splitter on the Vive's display chain - it requires a dedicated port. 

What laptop model do you have? It may have a MiniDisplayport or a USB-C port that's wired into the GPU that you could use to drive an external monitor. 

, Most high-bandwidth video signals Incorporate HDCP nowadays - it's pretty much universal and doubles as an authentication standard and is baked into multiple layers of the compositing pipeline. Even with HDCP out of the picture, if you try to send the Vive's native display signal toward a monitor, most would be unable to understand it as it's an HMD specific format. 

Archived