New Pro Play Area Too Big for Base Station 1.0s -- Need to purchase 2.0s

joshtempte

I've been a Vive owner for years now.  Now a Vive Pro and Wireless owner after using the TPCast for a while.

Having recently moved, my new living room area is too large for the base station 1.0s.   I have two young boys so using tripods isn't really an option.  They will knock them around or over immediately.

It seems like the only solution I have right now is multiple base station 2.0s but I can't seem to find them to purchase anywhere.  Any insight?  I'm in San Francisco if that helps.

This is a bit tricky - Valve has not authorized HTC to sell basestations individually and the only route we're able to vend them is via the enterprise bundle (which is limited to 2 stations per bundle). To add to the complexity, you'd also need to have 2.0 controllers in addition to the basestations as the 1.0 controllers (and the original Vive itself) are not compatible with 2.0 stations. It's actually quite an investment to switch over to 2.0 tech currently and there isn't a fantastic upgrade route currently due to the limited availability of 2.0 stations. 

This is pretty disappointing.  HTC +Valve has really bungled this launch.   The fact you offer some parts (Pro) and not others is mind-boggling stupid.   Whoever made that decision needs to be canned and kicked to the curb.

I'm not worried about the investment.  Why would that even be an issue?   Do the people in charge of these decisions think someone capable of affording an ~$3000 computer is worried about this kind of overhead.

Today is the last day I can return the Pro to Amazon.  I'll be doing so and will now be moving back to my regular Vive+TPCast and researching alternatives.  

Lots of great non-Vive solutions coming out and you all have pissed off just about everyone interested in an HTC Pro.  Bravo.  Bravo.

Returning the HMD only get and getting an enterprise kit is currently the cheapest and fastest way to get 2.0 stations and controllers - you'd be able to add additional stations as Valve approves them for wider distribution. They'd add a bit of additional range and would not have the same line of sight requirements that limit 1.0 stations. 

Yeah, I get that but now I'm pissed off because of HTC and Valve's strategy to piss off formerly loyal customers. 

I've had maybe 5 or 6 people buy a Vive after trying mine.  That probably won't happen anymore (edit: as I'll be looking for alternatives).

Thanks for being responsive.

I must say I agree with josh on this one. I bought my Vive Pro as soon as it was released only to find out a few days later you have released the full 2.0 kit .  A lot of people were pissed cause you didn't offered us (the early Vive Pro HMD only buyers) to add the rest of the kit. 

I have my reasons for wanting the 2.0 stations and controllers which I wont discuss now.  What it's really hard for me to understand is that for so long there is no official release date yet for the 2.0 accessories and yet you're selling the " Enterprise Kit " for almost a year.  

a week ago you started officialy selling 2.0 controllers for 217 Euro per unit. And according to that price my calculations are at approx. 800 - 900 euro in total to complete my 2.0 kit. 

So long story short  you have to do way better towards customers. 

Archived