Transition from 1.0 to 2.0 tracking

KingRangnar

So I currently use my Vive Pro with 1.0 base stations and controllers from my OG Vive bundle. Now I ordered the Vive Pro full kit (cyber weekend deal)  to get my hands on the 2.0. Anyhow I'm just curious when it arrives is there any recommendations towards install/uninstall when transitioning into the 2.0 stations and controllers ?  

There's really nothing to consider, it's plug and play. The only thing to remember is that you cannot use both 1.0 and 2.0 base stations at the same time. It's one or the other and if you use 2.0 you can't use any 1.0 accessories or HMDs.

Thank you,

-John C

They're pretty much functionally the same as 1.0 lighthouses in home-use cases. The key difference is that they no longer have to be mounted in diametrically opposite corners of a rectangle. Due to the wider 150 degree horizontal FOV, the way to maximize the coverage area of the basestations is by using this enhanced FOV to the fullest. For instance, if you mount them in a 90 degree inside corner; a huge portion of that extra FOV will be immediately lost. 

I posted an example below for a 4 station setup where you can see how mounting them in the middle of the axis' rather than the corners allows for a more effective use of the wider FOV. 

Also; without the need for sync (as the sync is on beam with 2.0), you can mount the basestations lower and the two stations don't need to be able to see each other at all times anymore. 

It's possible there's some confusion. There's no software to install/uninstall. You're still using SteamVR exactly as before. It really is Plug and Play. There's nothing you have to do except for set up the base stations and go through room set up, pairing, etc. If you're using Viveport, there's nothing to change there either.

Thank you,

-John C

Archived