Laptop Technical Problems?

FluffyHDD

So as I have absolutely no other locations to ask this, I'll ask this here.

I currently have 2 computers; a desktop and laptop. Now I know my desktop will work; tested before. But I want to see if my laptop could run the HTC Vive

It's a GL62M 7REX-1067 model

So a 1050ti 4GB, 16GB of RAM and an i7-7700HQ

My main focus of this post isn't if my specs are up to par; I've seen other people run VR on much less before. No, this post is mostly questioning if Optimus technology would still get in the way? I've seen a blog post that said SteamVR added hints for Optimus to prefer dedicated GPU but I'm still unsure. I'm almost completely immune to motion sickness so I dont mind steady 45 FPS rather than 90 FPS that might come from Optimus.

Next question is, since I use a monitor for my laptop, would a Mini display to Mini display cable suffice? The HDMI port on the laptop is also only 30 Hertz while the mini displayport supports the full 60 hertz.

Will a mini display to mini display port work and what problems might I encounter using the link box's Mini display port?

I'm mainly looking at this cable right now: https://www.amazon.ca/Fosmon-1-8-Meters-Feet-DisplayPort/dp/B01979VIRS/ref=mp_s_a_1_5/134-7450274-1102315?ie=UTF8&qid=1545085288&sr=8-5π=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=mini+displayport+cable&dpPl=1&dpID=31LXzWem0SL&ref=plSrch

Or would an Mini display to HDMI cable be a wiser option?

Sorry for the massive wall of text but I'm literally the only tech savvy person in my family and I have nobody else to consult. Thanks in advance!

A small bump. I tried to do more research into everything above but I'm basically still at square one. My Vive is coming next week and since I want to test roomscale quickly, I'm planning on using my laptop in my living room first rather than the Desktop in my room.

Main point of confusion and questioning is still the Mini Display to Mini Display question!

Archived