One Vive Pro headset gets a 208, the other does not.

RampantCoyote

Okay - before I go through the very painful process of trying to get my headset replaced...  I just received a headset that is getting a 208 error in Steam VR (and going through the Vive Pro guided setup - same problem - it connects to USB but not to the DisplayPort) ... it can't connect to the HMD. The USB seems to work fine, and I get audio through it just fine, which suggests it's not a cable issue.

To make sure it was the headset, I swapped it with a fully functional Vive Pro setup, plugging the new headset into the old link box. Sure enough, error 208 again on the previously functional system.

My question is... is there *anything* else I should look at on the malfunctioning headset that might fix this problem? I can't do a firmware update because Steam VR won't get that far, but I doubt that would be the issue. Any magic button somewhere I might have forgotten about?

Thanks!

Okay, I dove in deeper and actually swapped cables instead of assuming the one wasn't the problem because it still did audio. Surprise... replacing it with the cable from a working VIVE PRO solved the problem.

Well, kinda. It's not my Vive Pro, and I have to return it with its functioning cable.

So now I need a replacement cable, I guess...

• 1 month later...

Started out great fun to play. About a week and a half past the return date the vive stopped working. We did all the trouble shooting on steam and htc's sites nothing helped. Contacted HTC Tec support they gave a few others to try but they didn't work. Sent the head set in for repair. HTC is telling me to pay $270.00 for the repair. they say its water damaged. How can you make something that gets strapped to your body (head) and not make it water (sweat) proof. I own watches and phones that are water proof. And for the head set not to be is a manufacturer flaw. Also HTC changed the wording of their warrantee from does not cover water damage other than perspiration to does not cover water damage. So now I'll have to contact a lawyer , BBB and consumer protection agency

Archived