Headset is tracking, but no video

Vive_In_Texas

Hi, 

My headset is connected and tracking, but there is no video inside.  You can see the video/motion on my PC display, but the headset is completely dark.  The headset LED is steady red.  I spent an eternity with Vive support a year ago, but we didn't accomplish anything.  This headset has never been exposed to sunlight or any other bright lights.

Things I've tried:

• Everything possible has been updated; windows updates, nvidia drivers, hardware firmware, Steam VR and Steam client, games.  
  • The graphics card's HDMI port works fine (tested by connecting to an external display). 
  • I am using the OEM HTC cables, but have tried substtituting my own good quality HDMI and USB cables.  
  • I bought a brand new 3 in 1 cable.  

So where do I go from here?

If you're getting no display and a red light but you're getting visual data on the monitor, there's a decent chance the HMD is broken. I would check the cables first (Bypass linkbox and plug straight into the GPU.)

If the HMD is broken, you'll need to set up an RMA repair request with support. Just tell them what you've done and what you need.

Thank you,

-John C

Archived