Installation, Sign In Button, and TLS

dciciora

I just wanted to make anyone aware of an issue we came across when trying to install the VivePro software on a machine.

When the machine had TLS 1.0 DISABLED, it would not complete the installation because when you clicked the "SIGN IN" button on the installer and signed it, it would redirect the a url like this:

localhost:50728/?code=aorD5KLIgKzPMf20xg7fD9zxyQu1GJqoDCmGfb2rb3WIy7_KQIzRUveXXRNZTUw09Ih3nBKrAZqetWGxyTnOx_cdG0z8GuYQIWxW-27zkr43rcqLiq3xqFLZnklmwDphEE3HWYEajgOrUP9wzr3vYBcxyafrhTKld5EPM0_qtPU&api_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.htcsense.com%2F%24RME%24%2F%24WS%24%2FServices%2FOAuth%2FToken

When it redirected to that URL, it would get a "page could not be displayed" and would not proceed with installation of the software.  Once I re-enabled TLS 1.0 on the machine, it would go through that same process, but would succesfuly make the API call and proceed with the installation. I have a few packet captures of this failing, but I can't really make sense of what part of it was failing. If you have an issue with installing the software once you get to the "Sign In" button, you might want to see if TLS 1.0 is disabled or enabled.

Thanks,

Just to clarify, the two registry keys we were changing are below:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.0\Client]
"Enabled"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.0\Server]
"Enabled"=dword:00000000

This above is the "DISABLED" state of the registry key because the DWORD is set to 0. To re-enable TLS 1.0, we set the DWORD to 1.

Our image for the windows machines are pretty customized, so it could be a combination of these TLS changes and something else within the image, but I know 100% that flipping this enabled and disabled impacted our ability to install the software successfully.

Archived