Error 208

Zhaine

Okay, so I've been having a ton of problems with this dang headset to the point that I'm actually getting sick of it. First one of my base stations come in broken and I already had to send it off and now I'm getting an error 208 and I've googled and googled and googled and I can't figure out what's wrong. I ended up just hooking my headset directly to my computer and it worked. But now I can't use the vive desktop view, my camera, or the power management for the base stations. Like what the heck? I've had so much trouble that I'm starting to just want my money back. 

If somebody comes on here and says something is wrong with the link box I'm gonna have a cow. It was just working last night and then I come home from work and it's not working anymore.

I finally figured it out... It was just the HDMI cord. Maybe I can go one day without an issue popping up now.

Edit: Now I'm getting three pop up windows saying "An error occurred while updating SteamVR (app already running)". It happens everytime I hit the "start?" button that lets me access viveport, desktop, and settings. Also, my desktop tab is gone. It's not where to be found...

Edit 2: Seems like when I try to access my dashboard it tries to start steamvr up again which is causing the errors. But I still don't see why that has anything to do with why the desktop tab is gone. 

Just to let people know.. I already tried uninstalling steamvr and it didn't work. I even re did the htc drivers. Nothing is working. 

Yup, I figured out what was wrong with mine as well. Turned out it was just the hdmi cord. But now I have a whole other issue with three error screens popping up when i push the dash board button on my controllers. It keeps trying to start steamvr up when i push it everytime. Also, my desktop icon is gone and I'm not sure what to do now to get it back. I just tried uninstalling the drivers (again) so i'm about to check and see if it worked.

Edit: Nope didn't work. Steamvr just keeps trying to launch everytime I i try to go into the dashboard along with my desktop icon gone. So the only two things I see are vive and settings. Also I keep hearing an annoying ping everytime i push the button. 

I'm not sure what's causing your system button behavior. Open your task manager and see if vivelink.exe is running - if so, kill it and see if that fixes the behavior.

I wouldn't recommend targeting hardware specific things like drivers - you may make the situation work. The hardware is working fine, you're having issues with the Steam, SteamVR software layer, not the hardware. Reinstall things like the Vive installer and SteamVR, not things like hardware drivers unless your hardware drivers are bugged. 

What Desktop shortcut are you missing? SteamVR? There are lots of relevant executables to VR.

Here's how to create a shortcut for SteamVR via the Tools page of the Steam client: 

I'm not sure what's causing your system button behavior. Open your task manager and see if vivelink.exe is running - if so, kill it and see if that fixes the behavior.

What Desktop shortcut are you missing? SteamVR? There are lots of relevant executables to VR.

Here's how to create a shortcut for SteamVR via the Tools page of the Steam client: 

The error 208 was only because of a bad hdmi cord. It worked perfect after I switched it out. The 2nd issue was every time I pushed the dashboard button steamvr kept trying to start again and the desktop icon was gone. I ended up having to completely uninstall steam to fix that issue. 3rd issue was when I reinstalled steam it wouldn't start up. That one was actually my fault because I tried to install steam on a seprate hard drive and not my main one. Didn't know that even mattered but it did. But after a few hours of all that sillyness I managed to get it up and going. Before all that I was having issues at least once every other day with steamvr not wanting to start but now I'm not having any issues except one.

Sometimes while I'm playing beat saber I'll go into my desktop view and when I click back into the game it becomes really fuzzy. I have to restart the game for it to go away. Not to big of a deal but it does get a bit annoying sometimes. So far the only game it's done it to me has been beat saber.

Archived