Grey Screen

TylerE

I keep getting a grey screen that lasts about 10 seconds before it goes back to whatever i am playing. I just got my headset yesterday so i dont think there is any technical problems with it. I also searched everywhere and tried every method that i saw to try and fix it.

A grey screen typically indicates a tracking issue. I would recommend trying the following:

• Switch between USB ports to see if the USB port bandwidth makes any difference.
  • Ensure your basestations are mounted according to our guidelines. If there is a dead-space where tracking data cannot be recorded, this can easily result in a grey screen as you described. 
  • Check SteamVR's UI to see if an error message is displayed when the grey screen is displayed
  • Check your frame timing during the outage to see if your GPU is being over powered. If you go to SteamVR -> Settings, in the bottom lefthand corner you'll notice a graph with a time indicator. If you're above 11.1ms your GPU is struggling to render that content at that resolution at 90FPS. If it starts getting above 20-30, your GPU is extreemly underpowered and may revert to a grey screen to prevent motion sickeness.
  • Check for reflective surfaces and cover them up
  • Check SteamVR's system report for Reflective surfaces. Generate a SteamVR system report via SteamVR -> Create System Report. 
    • Next, save the report to a text file; open the text file in an editor, and search via Ctrl-F for the following term: back-facing.
    • Here's what a reflection looks like within SteamVR's logs. If you find this, you have a reflective issue. 
      • Sun Jun 26 2016 23:02:09.676 - lighthouse: LHR-4E5QF209 H: Dropped 32312 back-facing hits, 2069 non-clustered hits during the previous tracking session

Archived