random frame drops and slowdowns

Dwatters0707

ive had my vive for about 3 years now and never had any major issue. its always worked great and super smooth but now recently im have major issues with random studdering/drops back to grid when playing any game i own. playing beat saber the frame ms counter up and displayed on the hmd it hovers around 5-8 nice and smoothly but randomly itll spike up to 15-17 and the green bar shows alot of yellow and a few bits of red. cant figure it out. gpu usage stays at about 75-80% the entire game until the studder happens then itll drop to 50 and sometimes as low as 10%. cpu seems to always be around 80% from what i can tell. this problem just recent started and cant get any grasp on it.

pc is a 4690k with a 980ti ssc and 16 gb of ddr3 running form either ssd or hdd make no difference

Check graphics drivers first. Either update them if they're out of date or roll them back if they just updated and this issue appeared. Also, do a thorough scan for viruses or malware. Unexplained CPU use can be a result of malicious software embedded in your system. Check your CPU cores too and make sure they aren't throttling themselves over unusual heat. If that's the case, it might be time to clean the dust out of the fans and case.

Thank you,
-Jack S

it definitly seems to be a driver issue but seems more like a windows 10 1903 issue. the install that i was having all the problems on was only about 3 days old as i first tried a clean install to remedy it and it worked for a day or two. so i decided to throw windows 7 on a spare ssd and install everything and so far its working flawlessly. i dont mind windows 7 other than the lack of motion smoothing if i ever need it in vr. just cant seem to figure out more than that tho...

running a full custom loop and all temps are always below 55c and cpu is oc'd to 4.9 so im not thing the issue is there but never know.

on a side note will my pc specs support the vive pro? now that i seem to have the issue narrowed down i plan on ordering a pro since my side clips are broken on me vive.

Maybe roll back the Win 10 update?

You're just barely above Minimum requirements for Vive Pro, so you may be able to get it to work, but there may also be some issues with it on certain applications.

Specs here:

• Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4590 or AMD FX™ 8350, equivalent or better.
  • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970 or AMD Radeon ™ R9 290, equivalent or better. View the complete list >
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM or more
  • Video out: DisplayPort 1.2 or newer
  • USB ports: 1x USB 3.0 or newer port
  • Operating system: Windows® 7, Windows® 8.1 or later, Windows® 10 
    Upgrade to Windows® 10 for the best results with the dual front facing cameras 
    * Driver is required to download and install before using VIVE Pro under Windows® 7.

Thanks,
-Jack S