Games Unplayable

Painfullyaware

I have been enjoying my Vive for over six months with no problems. When I started playing a few days ago things started to change. No matter what game I play I now have major lag and the loading screen pops up quit often. I ran another steam vr performance test and I am well above the recommended stats. My motion smoothing is off but I noticed something strange. What I believe to be the frame rate is as high as 25 to 35 ms. Whenever reprojection automatically turns on what I believe to be the frame rate spikes even higher into the 60s.Any ideas what has caused this massive change?

don't worry, they pushed out an update to support the new devices, and in the process, bricked your headset.  They don't seem to give a crap about their existing customers.  I've got the same problem, but considering the controllers have had a bug reported for well over a year, which causes them to never stop charging, they have no intentions of fixing it when they could just sell you a new set instead.  Enjoy your $2000 paperweight.

- SteamVR compositor updates are controlled by entirely by Valve, not HTC. We wouldn't have been involved in the release of a compositor update - the compositor is entirely owned and managed by Valve; please do not spread misinformation about what is already a confusing partnership. 

- In weird cases like this where the SteamVR compositor goes crazy for no clear reason and the hardware chain is functional - we typically recommend you to generate a SteamVR system report and contact Valve's support team. If the issue is rooted in SteamVR - Valve is the point of support. Valve hosts a forum specifically for SteamVR bug reports - you'll see that it's actually a pretty active group because SteamVR is pretty young technology and bugs are commonplace. 

The other common point of failure for these types of issues is the display driver. Nvidia drivers and VR are feast or famine - sometimes an update can murder perf without leaving a trail that easily allows you to isolate it as the culprit. It can be very helpful in mystery perf-loss scenarios to preform a clean installation of an older Nvidia driver to see if it alters the behavior. You can use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to help keep the process clean. 

Well that’s all nice and good but the only updates to my system were steam. I intentionally disable every update mechanism so it doesn’t interrupt my play. Last time I played, everything worked well, now it’s unusable. If this is a confusing partnership, perhaps HTC needs to work closer with steam so that when they update the compositor, it doesn’t break your product.