laptop: headset display disconnected (213)

Brickmanat9876

Hello

I got my vive a few days ago and I wanted to run it on my Dell Inspiron 15 7000: https://www.newegg.ca/matte-black-dell-inspiron-15-7000-i7577-7272blk-pus-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834854848?Item=N82E16834854848

I thought that it would be able to run simply off of the HDMI port on the graphics card but when I started to set it up I got the "laptop: headset display disconnected (213)" error message. I think it has to do with the fact that the labtop screen in not directly connected to the GPU but rather the intel integrated graphics? 

I have an extra monitor but Only the one HDMI port (which I feel should be for the headset) and a single USB-C (with thunderbolt 3) port. I'm not sure how to procede and what kind of cables I should be looking into. Any suggestions?

- you should defintely use the HMDI port for the HMD - HDCP DRM makes things like adapters and converter cables super hit and miss.

The external display complicates everything an order of magnitude because you're on a laptop. Budget laptops typically do not have the eGPU wired to the USB-C port - I would recommend contacting the OEM to inquire about that specific model. You may not be able to to get the dGPU to power the HMDI port and the USB-C port at the same time and the USB-C port may not be hardwired to the dGPU in the first place. If it is, any 4K USB hub should give you another HDMI output. That said, you're trying to power a HMD, an external display, and the internal display of the laptop off a laptop dGPU - you should prioritize just handling the HMD and using the stock display as that's alot of extra rendering you're tacking on - this will be the best.

Here's how you force it to use the dGPU in the nvidia control panel: 

Thank you for your reply sir!

I have set my stock monitor (along with the external one) to the dGPU but still nothing. I did connect another monitor to the USB C port using a USB C ---> HDMI connector using this cable: ( https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/j5create-1-91m-6-26-ft-usb-type-c-4k-hdmi-cable-jcc153g/12469040) with still no results. I noticed this when I was looking around. believe that this means that both are hardwired to the intel integrated graphics? 

I would guess that if the USB -C port is not wired to the dGPU that there would be no hope of getting the HMD to connect as there would be no way to connect a monitor  AND the HMD to the dGPU, correct? (As that is a requirement of the headset from my understanding)