OMG, I Ordered a Cosmos Wireless Kit Today!

TomCgcmfc

6 hours ago, lamyipming said:

Can I play with the Vive battery that comes in the Vive wireless package? I wonder if using a 15w or 18w battery for Cosmos will do any damage to the headset or wireless adapter.

@lamyipming

You'll need the Cosmos-specific 21W battery that comes with the Cosmos wireless attach kit to power the Cosmos. Quick charge is an intelligent charging system - the device and the host communicate with each other to negotiate current. If the host cannot supply the requested current, the system generally kills power flow between the two devices. If using an underrated battery, the HMD should shut down or not start at all (the behavior may vary a bit depending on the specific battery).

So I've done some testing, in case anyone wants to know how to switch to wired when the battery dies and don't have a spare battery

Using original link box power cable L1 of course can power the wireless adapter on the headset, but the problem is that the cable is relatively short so you can't really move around.

Using a PD power socket together with a quick charge USB cable that can support 3A current cannot power the wireless headset. Seems the headset doesn't recognize a PD communication even though it can support up to 50W.

Using a Quick Charge 3.0 socket plus a 5 meter USB 2.0 Type A to Type A cable cannot power the wireless headset.

Using a Quick Charge 3.0 socket plus a 5 meter USB 3.0 Type A to Type A cable CAN power the wireless headset. I have tried to use this combination to play beatsaber for an hour without problem.

So Quick Charge 3.0 seems like a must. Also you need a USB 3.0 blue cable. I guess length is not a problem.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2019 at 12:02 PM, lamyipming said:

Can I play with the Vive battery that comes in the Vive wireless package? I wonder if using a 15w or 18w battery for Cosmos will do any damage to the headset or wireless adapter.

I think the main issue is the battery can overheat if a device tries to pull more power than the battery is rated for.

• 1 month later...

I use the Anker Powercore Speed 10000mah & 20000mah Batteries as they are output 2A @ QC3.0 12v (24w)

Be careful a lot of QC3.0 batteries only output 1.5a @ 12v and are only 18w 

The original cosmos battery is 1.75a @ 12v so 21w and that's what is recommended. 

Cheers

Edited by HoZy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1