Windows 10 Required? Help!

SaltySpice

I'm looking into getting a Cosmos, (very excited!) but as I'm going through the requirements it says Windows 10 is needed. I'm running Windows 8.1 and I was wondering if there's a way to make it work? I don't really want to upgrade my OS, and I know that the Vive and Vive Pro are fine with Windows 7 and up, so I figured i'd ask. I don't want to drop the money if I'm not gonna be able to install it!

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks a bunch!

@SaltySpice  I've never tested this firsthand because Win 8.1 is super old at this point but I think the installer will not proceed due to an OS mismatch. There are Windows 10 specific dependencies for the Cosmos runtime for instance with how DirectX works different on Win 10.

@stvnxu May be able to track down more specific info.

Why would you want to stay on Win 8.1 though? You can buy WIn 10 key pretty cheaply and should be able to do an in place upgrade. I'm pretty sure you will have to upgrade Windows, because even if the Cosmos apps do work on Win 8.1, HTC won't support it if you log any calls with them. So if you have a seemingly hardware issue, they will still make you upgrade first in the troubleshooting process.