Is problematic controller tracking even fixable? There is a limit to what software can do.

Retsu

I'm sorry if I sound extremely negative or toxic. But this was a present for me from my gf. After hearing that she spend 843 euro on product that barely works in tracking it's own controllers (yes I updated to latest firmware immediately) I got angry. Of course - I understand that you trying to fix it and releasing software updates but there is a limit to a software. If you are selling broken product that has a problem in it's hardware - there is not much that software can do. Again, sorry for sounding mean but I'm just venting. After several days of reading about other VR products - I noticed that Rift S had some problems in tracking as well when it was released but it was fixed. This is what gives me a little of hope at least. The helmet itself feels amazing. I found sweetspot immediately and everything else works perfect. But the main problem is controller tracking. I have a very strong feeling, and I think this is what will actually happen, that in January - developers will release it's last small update that will fix a little issue and after this updates will stop, you will just release a new lighthouse for Cosmos that will cost me another 500 euros. I know this from experience since I work at big company and know how it's not profitable for companies to keep paying devs to work day and night to try fixing the problem when they just can forget about it and release new fixed product for new price. I've read the message from employee of HTC - Nebula (and big thanks to him to at least not ignoring customers) that they will keep updating it until all customer beyond satisfied. I'm sorry but this is literally customer - seller relations 101. Keep promising and then one day stopping fixing and start making new product. Anyway, I will keep Cosmos for now. Hoping for the best (that probably won't happen. Again, there is a limit to software updates when hardware is not working properly). Sorry again, for being extremely toxic and mean. I just wanted to get it out of my chest.

@stvnxu

As you immediately installed the newest update you just can't tell anything about the work they've already done on getting things better.
And you wrote it by yourself: the Rift S got the same problems.
Yeah, it's fixed there but it took time and also the Rift S has been released much longer ago.

I am one of the pre-orders and gone through every single update.
And it's getting better with each one.
And it's not the case that it's broken or something.
Just tracking is not error-free at the moment.

Do some testing with the games where you think it's broken and then send in the issue-report and help them fixing things with that.

Or continue being mean which might be a lot less helpful as you can think.

• Like 1

It actually took ~3 months for Oculus to sort out the Rift S inside out tracking, system flashes, and controller grip lag.  Maybe give Vive another month or two to see what they can do.  In the meantime, since we are all enthusiastic users, lets keep things a bit more civil to both Vive support staff, and esp. fellow users.  Thanks guys.  Cheers.

1st: I know those test videos.
2nd: always find out by yourself.

I have seen like every single video with testing on this headset and sometimes I thought they were paid by Oculus...

Just an example about the 2 hours battery life nearly everyone talked about... absolute rumour and false news...

---

to your question:
Getting better with each one: I meant with every single update.

Edited by A-Jey

37 minutes ago, A-Jey said:

1st: I know those test videos.
2nd: always find out by yourself.

I have seen like every single video with testing on this headset and sometimes I thought they were paid by Oculus...

Just an example about the 2 hours battery life nearly everyone talked about... absolute rumour and false news...

---

to your question:
Getting better with each one: I meant with every single update.

I do completely agree with you on the fact that some youtubers straight up lying about Cosmos. For example, as you said, battery life is good. And now some of them lying about "resolution being horrible" or "door effect" that is complete bs. As I said, I'm sorry if I sound very toxic and mean. I just really hope that with time they will fix it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure how bad it used to be, but I'm on 1.0.8.8, and in good lighting, holding up the controller in a fixed position and moving my head around results in the controller wobbling in the opposite direction. Even holding it and not moving my head does that. This is beyond ridiculous.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 10:53 AM, Retsu said:

Here is a video made before updates:

And here is a video AFTER updates:

Please explain, what do you mean by "getting better witch each one"

HA Mrtv, yea dont be fooled, most of the time he talks about everything else besides the cosmos, has said that he would return it more then i count but obviously hasnt and is using it as not it was intended for (that being its meant to be a modular HDM) 1.0.8.8 isnt even current. The latest has improved the issues quite a bit still is a bit janky around some aspects. As a owner of both rift s and the cosmos, the rift s was the same deal for quite a few months since launch. If anything with latest update, it kind of proves its a software issue more so to do with the tracking algorithms then it is to do with hardware. Be patient, don't let any media influencer decide for you and enjoy some vr, most games wont even have the main issues in it unless if your playing a tactical shooter.

• Like 2