How to connect VIVE Eye Pro to a VR Ready Laptop?

aarelovich

Hi, the question might seem kind of dumb, but most laptops do NOT have DisplayPort. They have one of two things. Mini Display Port (for which I cannot get an adpator where I live) or USBc Type C connector.

So my question is this can I use an adaptro like this: https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-811611923-adaptador-usb-tipo-c-31-a-displayport-mac-macbook-113cdp0-_JM?quantity=1#position=26&type=item&tracking_id=2a54ba41-a762-45aa-8b1c-c151ba0cbbb5 (page is in spanish but hte picture is self explanatory, I think) and safely use it with the headsert?

Thanks !!

@aarelovich - They tend to work in two cases:

• The USB-C port must be able to output a Displayport 1.2+ compatible signal via the dedicated GPU. If you have an Nvidia GPU, the best way to check this is to go into Nvidia's control panel, go to the PhysX panel, and it will show the mapping for your system. As you can see in my case that I posted below, my laptop's USB-C port isn't hooked up to the Nvidia card and thus wouldn't be compatible with any sort of adapter :classic_sad:.
  • I can't speak to that specific adapter. The key requirements are that it must support 4K @ 60Hz, must support Display 1.2+, and must be able to transmit ~20Gbps of bandwidth.
  • Here is an example of a cable known to work: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0777RKTJB/ref=twister_B077GCMQXJ
  • Here is an example of a converter known to work: https://www.amazon.com/CAC-1507-DisplayPort-Adapter-Chromebook-Thunderbolt/dp/B018AX3HJO/

image.thumb.png.902f5c33511e9e344e430d3e95f1c638.png

Thank you very much. Unfortunately we need to buy the laptop along with the adapter, and I don't knwo how to make sure of this. And since they are so expensive it is an unacceptable gamble. 

Is it a better idea to find a laptop with miniDP (as there seem to be NO laptops with DP).

@aarelovich - Yes! A laptop with native DP/miniDP support is 100% always the best option (although you still need to source an mDP cable or converter). This requirement is not specific to Vive, all current generation HMDs require DP 1.2+ (Rift S, Index, Pimax, ect...)

So here's an expanded idea of what's happening. In order to have a USB-C port talk to the GPU, it costs the OEM extra $$$ to wire the motherboard to support the communication between that header and the dedicated GPU. That's why support is so hit and miss - some laptop models don't support this because it costs alot more to manufacturer. MiniDP on the other hand is a pretty common port - there is a pretty robust ecosystem on the OEM side to support that standard and port into a laptop. Alot of people use DP for 144hz 4K displays - it has alot of usage outside of VR hence why it's more common on laptops.

12 hours ago, VibrantNebula said:

@aarelovich - Yes! A laptop with native DP/miniDP support is 100% always the best option (although you still need to source an mDP cable or converter). This requirement is not specific to Vive, all current generation HMDs require DP 1.2+ (Rift S, Index, Pimax, ect...)

So here's an expanded idea of what's happening. In order to have a USB-C port talk to the GPU, it costs the OEM extra $$$ to wire the motherboard to support the communication between that header and the dedicated GPU. That's why support is so hit and miss - some laptop models don't support this because it costs alot more to manufacturer. MiniDP on the other hand is a pretty common port - there is a pretty robust ecosystem on the OEM side to support that standard and port into a laptop. Alot of people use DP for 144hz 4K displays - it has alot of usage outside of VR hence why it's more common on laptops.

Thanks for the info!!