Spec behind left eye lens

Coryh4225

Hello all, I just received my cosmos in today and got it all setup and running. So far its working great.

I have a small spec of something behind my left eye lens. I used the micro fiber cloth that the kit comes with to wipe the lens but it doesn't remove it so I assume its on the back side of the lens. Is there anyway I can clean this? 

@stvnxu @Synthesis

Hi @Coryh4225

I'm sorry you have experienced this.  If the spec is indeed behind the lens or the micro fiber cloth is not able to alleviate the symptom then our options are fairly limited.  Did you order directly from vive.com or elsewhere?  I can look at replacement options for you if ordered directly from vive.com.

If you did order directly,  send me your order number via private message and I will look at options for you.

Thanks!

@Coryh4225 If it's a dead pixel, that's not user fixable. If it's a dust or some other flaw in the optical chain, you'll introduce even more dust if you try to open the HMD and it vastly complicates any refund or warranty situation. Dust is everywhere and it's way easy to make the situation worse. The best option is to swap via your seller if you're still in that return window. If you're out of that return window, you can file a warranty RMA and send it to back to us directly.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 4:40 AM, A-Jey said:

Just do a swap, there is just no other option.

Well there is an option and that is to pry the lens out of their casing using a very small flathead screwdriver or hobby knife. Then use a torch and try to remove any dust particles (or plastic flashing that may be a result of rough shipping/handling) on the underside of the lens and inner screen with a microfiber cloth and blowing a bulb-type camera lens over everything (in a dust-free environment if possible).  This can be a painstaking task and if at the end of the day if it was caused by a dead pixel, the results will not improve things. 

I did all this myself with my Cosmos and ended up concluding it was a couple of dead pixels.  Fortunately these are well away from the centre so as long as I don't look for them they do not bother me.  So, like A-Jey says, your best option if the odd black spec bothers you is to simply return them for replacement imho.

Warranty issues notwithstanding, removing the lenses in a VR HMD is an all around bad idea unless you happen to be doing so in a legit clean room. Dust management is super dooper hard and you'll introduce dust by opening up the optics chain unless you're operating under clean-room protocols.