Vive Pro Wireless Mura Issue

TomCgcmfc

I have been using my Vive Cosmos wireless for a while now and this works pretty well.  Taking the Cosmos to wireless drops a little performance (~10-25% depending on the game/sim) because the Wireless is a bit of a CPU hog and not all games/sims utilise muti-threading very well yet.  However, the image in both wired and wireless is very good in terms of colour. clarity, and contrast, even in darkish games/sims.

I decided to park my Cosmos for a while until Vive cracks the inside-out tracking issues and/or until they offer a SteamVR faceplate.  So, I uninstalled my Vive software and wireless software, then reinstalled the Vive software and reinstalled my Vive Pro w/2x 2.0 base stations/controllers.  This all worked great and I got a beautiful Vive Pro oled image with much better blacks and contrast in darkish games/sims.  Also, thanks to the base stations I got perfect tracking.

Once I got this all running perfectly I decided to take my Vive Pro to wireless.  I installed all the wireless gear on the headset and reinstalled the wireless software.  This all went well and the Vive Pro wireless worked very well.  About the same performance drop as I got with my wireless Cosmos.  The problem is that I get a lot of Mura in darkish games/sims, even just the initial Vive void.  It's like a grey veil and looks terrible.  In light coloured areas it looks fine.  I tried reinstalling SteamVR and also tried beta and non-beta versions, but this did not make any difference.  I also tried different wireless modes 1-3 and this did nothing.  I ended up removing all the wireless gear and software and ran my Vive Pro wired.  All of a sudden it was all back to normal Mura-free. I don't understand why the Mura only shows up with my wireless Vive Pro.  Except for the Mura the image colour/resolution is ~ the same wired or wireless.

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

@Synthesis @jagibson

• 1 month later...

I've met the same problem. Yesterday I tried to delete (backuped it first)  mura calibration .png from Installfolder/Steam/config/lighthouse/lhr-(headset specific number)......../userdata/* (there are two of them, for both eyes) and suddenly mura became significatenly lower, especially on dark grey surfaces IMHO.

And if i copy them back - mure became worth again.

It's strange, because this files should remove mura, don't create it.

But you may try this as some kind of soultion.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, tarenstrannik said:

I've met the same problem. Yesterday I tried to delete (backuped it first)  mura calibration .png from Installfolder/Steam/config/lighthouse/lhr-(headset specific number)......../userdata/* (there are two of them, for both eyes) and suddenly mura became significatenly lower, especially on dark grey surfaces IMHO.

And if i copy them back - mure became worth again.

It's strange, because this files should remove mura, don't create it.

But you may try this as some kind of soultion.

Thanks Mate, I'll give this a go next time I use my Vive Pro wireless.  Right now I'm using it wired mainly because I get better FPS performance with my flight/racing sims than with cpu-hogging wireless.

Edited by TomCgcmfc