Resolution Slider not doing anything

atmcode

I've contacted steam support and they said it was a vive software issue. Then I contacted vive support and they said the resolution couldn't be changed. I've completely reinstalled and uninstalled steam vr and even reset my headset. Is there any way my super sampling can be improved?

@atmcode - This answers you got don't make sense on numerous fronts. The application resolution option is an OpenVR option is in short a front-end GUI option that in turn controls a few multiplier values which OpenVR then will communicate to your game engine via API. The change happens within the game engine. Vive Cosmo's runtime shouldn't affect any of this - we're way at the end of that rendering stack. I just ran a series of quick QA tests and from what I can tell, the resolution render slider seems to be working on SteamVR 1.19.16 and Cosmos runtime beta 1.0.9.6.

I'm not sure what Valve support is referring to here as this setting is rooted within OpenVR/SteamVR and the resulting APIs that talk back to the game engine. Our support staff probably meant that you were talking about the resolution of the HMD - that can't be changed which I guess is technically correct? They might not understand what you meant by a "change the resolution" type question as technically the target application is changing the resolution of certain rendering elements within the larger rendering job.

I just tested super sampling on a variety of Cosmos setups a PC's and it worked on all of my tests. The key to supersampling on a modern HMD is that it's not going to make a huge different past 200%. If you dip down to 20%, you should see a noticeable difference, especially in text rendering. Anything past 100% is basically more nuanced detail as 100% is already ~2469x2915 which is pretty high for 90fps. Past a certain value, you're going to be trying to sample a texture at a higher value than the texture source itself can provide. Anything past 200% is the realm of enthusiasts - most applications aren't going to deliver more texture quality past a certain point.  It made a much bigger different on gen 1 HMDs IMO. Higher values can yield an increased sense of presence and 3D space because your eyes have more small details to base their stereoscope off of.

I took some example screenshots from my QA pass I just preformed with Cosmos below. As you can see, there is a huge difference between a 20% sampling value and a 100% sampling value. Past 100%, it just gets sharper - it's not going to be as night and day because developers are still limited by getting 4K texture sets to render at 90FPS with MSAA. Unity itself only supports 4K textures and the entire VR rendering pipeline itself is hybridized and geared towards 90FPS playback.

Test using The Lab and simply dip the slider down to 20% quality and look at some text - some differences should be visible in the lab without a restart.

Per VRSS, can you please screenshtot your VRSS settings? Why do you think it's not working? What apps are you using?

VRSS is a devil of a thing to actually visually "see". Just like eye-tracking - it's the type of thing where if it's working, you can't actually tell as an end user as it's one of those things that "just works". I tested VRSS pretty darn heavily and unless you specifically have project open where you can debug VRSS, you shouldn't be able to visually tell it's on or off because Nvidia has done an expert job at blending the foveation. You really have to know what you're looking for to "see" it visually. In a nutshell, you kind of have to pick a high resolution texture, put it on the outside edge of a lens, and then slowly stare at that point while you move your head evenly to slowly bring it into the center of the FOV - it should increase in clarity from the outside of the lens into the center if VRSS is active. It's crazy stupid subtle because it's so well done. Of the 20 or so VR professionals I've demoed it to - nobody has outright said they can visually pinpoint the foveation - it's just sharper in the middle without the performance loss you would have previously seen to achieve the same quality in the center and without the obvious foveation ring you get with less advanced solutions. That's the key here - Nvidia is basically making this a driver level feature because ultimately they want it to seamlessly work without users ever even noticing or needing to take action. Towards that note, this is a brand new release and it's not something development teams are going out and optimizing for - it's just a new default driver feature.

Here's the Lab in a Cosmos at 20% value:20_precent.thumb.JPG.bd3bf9d15d62a4cb1bdba0f8c66595fd.JPG

Here's the Lab in a Cosmos at 100% value:

100_precent.thumb.JPG.5b29823507abfd4ffd42ad11da831357.JPG

Here's the Lab at 400%: 400_precent.thumb.JPG.deacb6be9aeb6a5f7e71d4ce40cadefa.JPG

• Like 1