htc - VIVIE COSMOS a HDMI?

fceron

I have some HTC COSMOS glasses. Until now I've used them on the PC without any problem. But now I want to use them for demos, that's why I bought a laptop.
The laptop, ASUS G731G is new. It comes with an HDMI input, the board is RTX 2070.
I can't connect the Display PORT directly. I bought a miniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter. But it doesn't detect it. I've been trying for hours. Is there a solution?
Thanks

10 hours ago, fceron said:

I have some HTC COSMOS glasses. Until now I've used them on the PC without any problem. But now I want to use them for demos, that's why I bought a laptop.
The laptop, ASUS G731G is new. It comes with an HDMI input, the board is RTX 2070.
I can't connect the Display PORT directly. I bought a miniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter. But it doesn't detect it. I've been trying for hours. Is there a solution?
Thanks

HDMI adapter won’t work.
Try type C to DP adapter instead.It

But I’m not sure if it is from GPU, you may have to figure it out on your end.

309480D9-60C3-46E5-9504-75383F850548.jpeg

@fceron - HDMI and Displayport are not fully interchangeable in the context of VR headsets - to run the Cosmos or any current gen HMD, you'll need a port that can drive native Displayport support for the most part. You will not be able to use an HDMI port to power a Cosmos or any modern HMD (Rift S, Index, PiMax, ect...) using any type of adapter unfortunately.

The G731G seems to be a weird model - there isn't a ton of official info about that specific variant - only more generalized info for the family of laptops that one belongs to (which looks to be the Strix Scar III). The official specs for that family are pretty vague about what standards are actually supported on that port. I'd maybe recommend checking with Asus to see if that port a) Can support DP 1.2+ signaling and B) that the USB-C port is wired to the Nvidia GPU. You can usually double check the Nvidia wiring on your side by going into the Physx-page of the Nvidia control panel. I've copied an example below from the laptop I'm writing this from which has the USB-C port only wired to the Intel graphics making me unable to power an HMD via USB-C.

We've had the most reliable experience on the USB-C side with the Club3D CAC-1507 USB-C -> DP 1.2 adapter. There are a ton of white label USB-C -> DP adapters from Chinese OEMs, it gets way confusing quickly to ID them by brand name. In general when looking for an adapter you want it to be able to support DP1.2+ signaling at 4K @ 60hz, and support as much bandwidth as possible, ideally over 20Gbps.

image.thumb.png.4276c273df2a92305a1229a9aa1dacdf.png

image.thumb.png.4f827c0746188059d749efd90294e598.png

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
Thanks for your response and helpful notes.  Unfortunately, my ASUS usb-c does not
connect to GPU, which seems wrong since it is rtx 2070.  Vive should really put out
notice about the GPU connectivity issue, would not have bought otherwise.  Was gift for my
grandson.

Thank you again

@ronvive - I'm sad to hear that. It's really a cost cutting measure on behalf of the laptop manufacturer. Surprised a 2070 laptop wouldn't have a Minidisplayport or dGPU wired USB-C port tbh. Note that if you don't have that miniDisplayport or compatible USB-C port, that laptop won't work with any current gen desktop headset (Rift S, Index, Pixmax, etc). You can use first gen headsets like Vive 1and Rift CV1 if you have an HDMI port. You will probably be able to use Quest Link with that laptop but Quest Link isn't quite the same experience as a dedicated desktop headset.

We've had lots of internal debate about how to handle comms about laptops but ultimately it gets really complex because lots of laptop manufactures started marketing their products as "VR ready" to the point where the term became meaningless. At the end of the day, there are thousands of laptop models which come out each year and each is wired uniquely and there's no solid answers at this point. Hopefully

• 8 months later...

@HackPerception

Hey, I have the same problem and I'm really frustrated that I can't use my Cosmos with my Asus Zenbook Pro Duo.  The machine is quite capable ( Intel i9, Nvidia RTX 3070,...) and can't believe it is not possible to drive my glasses with it.  Yes, the NVidia is wired to the HDMI output only (according to the PhysX panel), but isn't it possible to use my Intel Graphics to power my Cosmos ?? When plugged in through USB-C to PD converter the output signal from Intel Graphic is 2880x1700 / 90hz. which should be sufficient.  So I don't understand why is so necessary to use the NVidia card.
Does some workaround still exist, I really need it ???

@Keyser Contact your laptop OEM to specifically confirm the port mapping. If your Nvidia card isn't wired to either a USB-C port or a native MiniDisplay port, that laptop is simply incompatibly with any and all headsets that are driven by Displayport 1.2+ (Vive Pro 2, Valve Index, Rift S, Pimax, etc...)

You certainly can't run VR off integrated graphics except in a handful of cases with the OG Vive. Your 3070 is somewhere in the realm of 50-100x more powerful than the Intel onboard graphics (and likely represents at least 1/3 of the cost of your laptop accordingly).

@HackPerception  Thank you for your reply. I actually bought that laptop exactly to edit and compose VR Video on it and still can't believe I will be unable to output signal to my Cosmos.   I see that unfortunately my NVidia is not connected to my USB-C in my PhysiX control panel.  Yet I see that my INTEL UHD is capable to output 4096 x 2304@60Hz  (DP-1.2) and currently is delivering 2880x1700 / 90hz to my Cosmos and I can hear the audio from the headset. So my question is - as I only need to play just video content and not to process any games, is there any chances yet to use the Intel Graphic just for that ???   Should I try with a better USB to DP converter (mine is Hama with 4K@60hz support) ??

My INTEL UHD Graphics is by 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i9 Processors (
Intel® Core™ i9-10980HK Processor (16M Cache, up to 5.30 GHz)

@Keyser Laptop manufacturers save money but not wiring that port to the dGPU. That's what it boils down to - cost cutting at the laptop manufacturer level.

You can try to get a USB-C to DP adapter, but if the port isn't wired to the Nvidia GPU, it's not going to work.

You should really contact the laptop OEM - this is a laptop specific thing.

If you don't have a way to get displayport out of your Nvidia GPU, your best bet is likely to get something that can USB-stream like a Vive Focus 3 with Vive Business App Streaming or Quest 2 with Quest Link.

@HackPerception   Thank you. I spoke with the Manufacturer and they state that the NVidia is connected to the USB-C port and the Display Port signal is from it.   But yet, when I connected my Cosmos to the laptop the VIVE Console give a 201 Error: "The headset display cannot be detected...".  My USB-C to DP Convertor  support 4K/60hz. - Is it possible that this is not enough and I should get 8K version instead ???