HTC Vive 2 Coming in 2017 1st Qtr?

likenewpcs

If you read The same report as i read then it was speculation thats all. CES is not far away then we will find out.
Very few pc's could handel the 4k screens, let alone the other spec that was talked about.  
Might get some new controllers but the new headset wont be out until earliest end of 2017 more likely 2018. 

My 2 cents:

First of all, when Vive 2 IS released.. I wouldn't expect any discounts. But the good news is, when Vive 2 is released, the current high end PC currently required and owned by just a few for the VIve, will be commonly in use. So there will be a huge market for the original Vive still. So you should be able to sell your Vive 1 easily on Ebay, etc.. to help fund purchasing the Vive 2 or the new high end computer you will need to buy.

As for Vive 2. I imagine HTC will function like most tech companies (Intel, etc), and work on and show off future advanced products, etc.. but not market them until either the market is ready or they are getting beat by another company. For example, you don't release a $10,000 product you designed that nobody can afford.. instead you sit on it, work on making it cheaper, etc. until it is affordable and release it then. With that in mind, I would expect Vive 1 to last through the next year with upgrades (Think wireless, new controllers, etc). And during that time, HTC will also be showing off advanced versions of the Vive concepts behind closed doors for the next big release (leading to a lot of Vive 2 rumors). But until the market that can't currently accept a $700 headset and a $2000 computer (it's too expensive!!), can accept the next Vive or if HTC see's someone stealing their thunder.. I don't see Vive 2 being released.

Anyway.. that is my guess.. 

wrote:

My 2 cents:

I wish... Why do I get the feeling that $2000 is more in the ballpark? :manwink: I've only had mine for about a week and only got it working a couple days ago. The thought of immediate obsolescence is not pleasant. I was glad to see the post that Vive 2 is not at CES. I am still in the awe stage with the first one and the furthest I've gotten is Viveport. Though I do look forward to improvements I'd like to get this batch of credit card charges paid off first.

Archived