Need Viveport Submission Help

exvrs

Hello all -- I have limited development experience but managed to get a little VR game built, and I'd like to submit it to Viveport. Problem is, I'm having trouble understanding the dev guide pdf where it talks about the "Binary Build." It's fairly unclear to a newbie like me how to create the app manifest and zip up my Unity files properly (game exe and data folder). I'd greatly appreciate any help -- thanks!

wrote:

Hello all -- I have limited development experience but managed to get a little VR game built, and I'd like to submit it to Viveport. Problem is, I'm having trouble understanding the dev guide pdf where it talks about the "Binary Build." It's fairly unclear to a newbie like me how to create the app manifest and zip up my Unity files properly (game exe and data folder). I'd greatly appreciate any help -- thanks!

Hi exvrs,

The app manifest is automatically created when it's uploaded. All you need to do is zip up all of your files - EXE and data folders - into one zip and upload that. You'll need to specify the path to your EXE file, but apart from that, the manifest will be taken care of for you.

Hope that helps (and sorry for the delay). Let us know if you still have difficulties.

Thanks so much for the response. Just to clarify, where do I specify the path to the EXE? Is there a form field where I'll provide this? Also, in the documentation, there's mention of putting the EXE in a folder ("appname\Binaries\Win64") if there are also data folders being uploaded. Since I have such a folder, does that mean I need to create an "appname" folder with a "Binaries" folder with a "Win64" folder and put the EXE in there before zipping everything up? Sorry for the confusion, and thanks again for your help!

wrote:

Thanks so much for the response. Just to clarify, where do I specify the path to the EXE? Is there a form field where I'll provide this? Also, in the documentation, there's mention of putting the EXE in a folder ("appname\Binaries\Win64") if there are also data folders being uploaded. Since I have such a folder, does that mean I need to create an "appname" folder with a "Binaries" folder with a "Win64" folder and put the EXE in there before zipping everything up? Sorry for the confusion, and thanks again for your help!

Hi exvrs, sorry about the delay - we had to check with our submissions team. Here's the TL;DR version - yes, you have to create a folder. Here are the details.

The path to the EXE is specified in the Content manifest section of the Binary Build. Here's a screenshot of what you should see - I've outlined the specific line in red:

You're going to modify that line directly inside the text box - you don't need to change anything else. (Your content manifest will not look exactly like this one as your variables are different.) As for what you'll put in the binary path line, that varies depending on your file structure.

When you only have an EXE file and it's in the root directory of your ZIP file, you'd simply place that within the " " after the "binary_path_windows" line. So for a file named 'coolVR.exe', as described in the documentation, the binary path line would look like this:

"binary_path_windows":"coolVR.exe",

In your case, you have data folders. That means we need to create a folder structure for your EXE, as you guessed. The complete file structure is 'appname\Binaries\Win64\appname.exe', where appname is your EXE name. So you'll create a folder in the root named after whatever your EXE is called (just the EXE name, not appname.exe), a folder inside that called Binaries, and a folder inside Binaries named Win64 - in which you put your EXE file.

Final result, again using the 'CoolVR.EXE' example, the binary path line in your manifest would look like this. Note the double slashes!

"binary_path_windows":"coolVR\\Binaries\\Win64\\coolVR.exe",

Last but not least - the total character count of the file location (i.e. what's contained between the quote marks starting with 'coolVR' above) cannot be above 72 total. The good news is that the slashes only count as 1 character each. In the example above, counting the slashes brings us to 35, but removing 1 character count per slash brings it back to 32.

Simple rule of thumb: don't make an overly long EXE name and you should be fine. :)

Finally, remember our submissions are reviewed by real humans. If you make an error in the manifest path they'll help correct it for you.

Hope that helps! Let us know what you submit!

wrote:

We had the same question but we found a "sollution" because we decided to "ignore" manifest as we did not found it's template in dev manual. Guess you should update it, because there's no clue to know that manifest template generates on website during submission process.

Thanks for the feedback - we'll take a look!

Archived