Headset mic no longer recognized?

I purchased the External Tracking Faceplate and having the Cosmos coupled with the base stations, Index controllers, and this faceplate, everything is working great! However, my headset's mic is no longer recognized by my PC so I can no longer chat while playing The Forest making this a major problem. I was able to use my ear buds as a workaround but I cannot for the life of me figure out why the mic no longer shows in Windows. The only inputs showing (and I do not have any other mics physically connected to the PC) are:

Microphone (Bigsreen Audio Stream 1.2) <-----no clue what that is or how it got there since I installed but never used Bigscreen
Headset Microphone (Oculus Virtual Audio Device)

I have tried different USB ports, restarting, refreshing device manager, but am not sure why it's not showing all of a sudden. Any thoughts?

few more things you could try,

1. update USB driver Link
2. look for disable inputs and enable it. (sometimes it works)

if still not working, send me one dxdiag report, let me circle around colleague for ideas.

37 minutes ago, C.T. said:

few more things you could try,

1. update USB driver Link
2. look for disable inputs and enable it. (sometimes it works)

if still not working, send me one dxdiag report, let me circle around colleague for ideas.

I was able to remove the Bigscreen Audio driver (never going to use that anyway). USB drivers are all up to date. Only thing that has changed was the swapping of the stock Cosmos faceplate with the External Tracking Faceplate. Attached the DxDiag report. Thanks!

DxDiag.txt

I think I also recalled Oculus audio driver kidnapped the headphone and mic when I plug in Index HMD.
What I do is to go to Sound tab from windows control panel, and play around the dropdown menu on "speakers" or "mic" section.
And then my index will just show up very quickly. (oculus virtual ones will be gone_

Do you think you can try this too?

51 minutes ago, C.T. said:

I think I also recalled Oculus audio driver kidnapped the headphone and mic when I plug in Index HMD.
What I do is to go to Sound tab from windows control panel, and play around the dropdown menu on "speakers" or "mic" section.
And then my index will just show up very quickly. (oculus virtual ones will be gone_

Do you think you can try this too?

Thanks for the suggestion! Just tried but could not get the Cosmos mic to appear. I also tried resetting the headset via the Vive Console and still, nothing. I am on the beta branch if that makes a difference and it did previously work.

Out of curiosity, the mic isn't embedded in the original Vive's faceplate, is it? Just wondering where its physical placement is. Thanks!

Hi @joellipenta

here's something I'd like you to do for me while I circle around our internal experts. 

Thanks, 

How to disable Oculus Virtual Audio Device

1. Open Sound Settings

image.jpeg.34255a75b41ec25162757321c93a4895.jpeg

1. Open sound control panel (highlighted)
    image.jpeg.243df696dff96e78ea187737e72e4f23.jpeg
  2. Select “ Recording” and right click “Oculus Virtual Audio Device” to disable.
    image.jpeg.f3dfcd40550f1a2060a88d938ac08d5e.jpeg

I was able to resolve this! I had cleaned out the PC not long ago and when I plugged everything back in, I plugged the USB for the link box into a 3.1 Gen2 port. Apparently it doesn't play nice. I moved it to a USB 3.1 Gen1 port and it immediately reinstalled the driver for the mic so I'm back in business. Thanks for your help, @C.T.!

1 hour ago, joellipenta said:

I was able to resolve this! I had cleaned out the PC not long ago and when I plugged everything back in, I plugged the USB for the link box into a 3.1 Gen2 port. Apparently it doesn't play nice. I moved it to a USB 3.1 Gen1 port and it immediately reinstalled the driver for the mic so I'm back in business. Thanks for your help, @C.T.!

good to know.

Thanks