Let's Start Something New.

Karatekidlet

The Vive is almost within my budget now. Although I'm excited about this, I have reservations. The consumer edition of the Vive was released earlier this year in April, and based on conflicting posts online, I'm not sure if Valve is going to update the tech or leave it stand as it is. Lenovo has a 1440x1440 display and all the Vive has to compare is a 1080x1200 bit res. will this ever change? Am I waiting to spend my money on something unrealistic? The rest of the virtual world is definitely going to move on, and maybe, in the years to come, mobile VR will surpass PC standards. Why don't we start something new? I feel that a Vive 2.0 is in order for 2018, and that is something I'd be willing to save my money for.

Best of Luck,

-Karatekidlet

By 2018 Vive 2.0 is a realistic release. But if you are willing to wait to 4Q 2018, you might as well wait for VIve 3.0 to be released around 4Q 2020.

My point is, too many people concentrate on what comes next and not what is available now. I just don't get it. When you figure the PC hardware required just for a Vive 2.0 isn't even in the design stages right now, and when it is first released will be very expensive, etc.. waiting for the next model just sounds crazy. 

Sure, you will see so called "amazing" VR headsets with 4K per eye, eye tracking, etc.. coming out in droves soon. Sadly, 99.9% of these will be companies trying to get suckers who care more about numbers on the side of a box to buy it, then they are companies trying to get a foothold in the VR market. You see this kind of exploitation in mobile VR now, for example the Walmart $19 VR phone holders that fit any phone. So it isn't surprising PC VR gets hit with the same scams. Don't buy into that. 

As for the Lenovo specificially, this is the first of many Microsoft backed VR headsets to be announced. They are all using Microsoft's VR tech announced awhile back for WIndows 10. Now, nobody can say right now how good/bad these headsets will be.. but figuring they will be mostly using Microsoft's gaming platform and not STEAM makes me want to skip them outright. Add in the fact that Microsoft's VR software when recently announced really seemed so ME TOO to me, and so late to the game, that it made me sick.

To me, it really seemded like Microsoft announced they will rule VR by adding it directly into Window 10 and with headsets from it's many manufacturing partners.. then the next day, sat down and started programming it. Meanwhile, the headset manufacturers started making headsets that feature inside out tracking, etc.. figuring.. someday Microsoft will get that to work. Maybe they will pull it off, maybe not. SInce they are showing these things without a working prototype and since every Microsoft PC gaming service crashed and burned before this, my money is on not.

Anyway.. that is my 2 cents.

TL/DR -  Buy a Vive now, get the best VR. The rest is all hype and/or scams.

i think BDS says everything that needs to be said. 
The next model is always going to come out.
What are you waiting for. You are only missing out on the enjoyment of being able to play and be in VR sooner. 
Next month my pc graphics card becomes out of date because the 1080ti gets released a few  months down the line im sure intel will bring something new out. 
Its not just the Vive that you have to think about when investing in VR its every thing else that makes it run and that also is being superseded on a regular basis's.

My advice, don't wait. If you can afford the Vive (and have a suitable PC) then get it now. I just picked one up here in the UK for £659 in the New Year sale..killer deal. Also bought a GTX1070 to run it properly. It's simply awesome...the display quality is very good, and does little to effect immersion, but make sure to really fit the headset properly and do a single eye clarity check against a distant sight each time you start VR, to get the best experience. rainfold has a great blog on fitting the Vive headset properly. 

regarding display improvements, the screens or lack of Vive 2.0 won't be holding things back...its the GPU. The sheer grunt needed to drive stereoscopic 1080 (twin) output already works the gtx1070 (6.5 TFLOPS) and the gtx1080 hard (8.9 TFLOPS). Its going to take another generation or two to improve this, especially at an affordable cost. My PC and Vive set me back £2K. Money well spent.

Having roomscale VR at HOME with two motion tracked controllers in 2016 has surpassed my expectations, having been there in 1991 with Virtuality in the games arcades

White the white beyond has pointed out - the minimum spec to run a Vive that I'd recommend - a £659 Vive and a £400 1070 is £1000 on top of whatever else you have sitting in your box. Are you going to want a Z270 / i7 7770k which just got release too? Say someone announces a ship date on a nw VR headset in Q2 2017... with 4k per eye, and wireless. How much do you think that will cost and what GPUs will you need. I can tell you the HMD will cost over £1000 and you'll need 2x1080s in SLI which won't work as non of the apps in Steam VR support SLI yet. If they add foveated rendering, capability with eye tracking, then they could get that down to 1 xGTX1080 - if the GTX1080 had a foeveated rendering pipeline - which it doesn't. So although these display may be high res, they will only be upscaling existing 1000x1000 ish content per eye. Is that what you want? Most importantlly will they support tracked peripherals like gun controllers or foot tracking so you can walk in VR? http://www.talariavr.com/ I'm just about to start a thread on these guys.. as I think this is the most important step in VR (pardon the pun) since Roomscale came out.

Thought about your TalariaVR comment; playing the update of the Blueshift demo on Vive its now offering full body avatar with great upper body tracking. The lower body is somewhat discombobulated when turning, until upper body drags it around, but the crouch motion is incredible if you face the mirror and try standing up/down and leaping. The use of foot tracking was immediately obvious, but the Blueshift update is very exciting to experience.

Archived