Headset Track Loss

nehumanuscrede

Now this is quite interesting. 

I received an email reply indicating the moving of the base-stations seems to have fixed his problem, yet it isn't here.  ( was posted 5-19-2017 @ 2:53pm )

Either MartinMarty deleted it or ? ( Mods / Staff any idea where it went ? )

In any case, I don't think the base stations work well once you get close to the 15' separation point.

Bringing them closer together seems to have fixed my issue permanently and it appears to have fixed MartinMarty's as well.  ( Optical sync anyway.  Probably not an issue with a hardwire link )

So, for any folks who experience the white out issues described in this thread,  if your base stations are pushing the 15' limits, try moving them slightly closer together and see if it helps you or not. 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi nehumanus-crede,

No, I didn't delete my post. For some reason when I posted it the board gave me a message that it had to be approved by mods. I suspect it was because I had put a link in it to a youtube video of a guy with his base stations working fine in all kinds of crazy locations.

Long story short, I'm up & running now, THANKS A LOT, and I am still going to take pics of my base stations and send them in because I have someone willing to look at them.

You can see below I moved one base station about 5 feet to the top of a computer on a shelf. I've got a few hours of good playtime in.

wrote:

The ambient light certainly could be causing issues. If you have light peaking through a narrow opening between the curtain and the wall, you could test this by moving your headseat through the light while in game and see if you can match up the tracking loss with the light.

WARNING: do NOT allow the light to enter through the lenses. This can cause permanent damage to the display, so if you do this, only expose the plastic front of the HMD to the sunlight.

Other things you can try:

1. Turn off the camera. This can occasionally cause dropped frames until you turn it off. It's quick and worth testing.

2. Connect the sync cable between the base stations and switch to base station channels A and B

, I apologize. I should have included in the list of things I've tried that I tried it in the middle of the night the other night to rule out ambient light.

As to your other points:

1) AFTER moving my base station, which seems to have helped A LOT (pretty much resolved problem as far as me being able to play) the first time I turned on the in-game camera I got a total whiteout and it never came out of it, so I recalled something from somewhere (sorry - too much input) and I turned the camera frame rate from 60 down to 30. The next time I used the camera, it worked and I have not revisited the subject. FYI, in the past I always ran the camera at 60 because it was the default and I'd had no reason to change it.

2) I had the sync cable out of the box and ready to connect when I saw NC's post and decided that (in my particular room) it would be way easier to move my base station than to add the sync cable. Question though, because I had given it some thought: I was under the impression that if the two base stations had lost sync with each other they would not have status green LED. In the times where I was in a whiteout, when I would peek out of the HMD to see how I was oriented, the times when I looked the base stations were still green.

Thanks for your help and input.

I'm going to take a couple pictures for Jad now.

wrote:

I'm going to take a couple pictures for Jad now.

MartinMarty, from the pics, please move base station b outside the shelf or lower it. It appears to be partially occluded by the top of the shelf. Otherwise, your base stations are operating normally. 

Thanks, Jad. I've ordered some clamps so that problem will be eliminated soon. Any problem with the other unit being upside down? When I was originally installing them it was easier to get the cord plugged in that way and I didn't realize it was upside down until I had put away ladders, etc. so since everything appeared to be working, I just left it.

When I get my new clamps, it is hard to say how everything will end up, so just for the record, does it matter how the base stations are oriented, i.e. status LED at top/bottom/left/right?

Thanks again,

-Marty

wrote:

Thanks, Jad. I've ordered some clamps so that problem will be eliminated soon. Any problem with the other unit being upside down? When I was originally installing them it was easier to get the cord plugged in that way and I didn't realize it was upside down until I had put away ladders, etc. so since everything appeared to be working, I just left it.

When I get my new clamps, it is hard to say how everything will end up, so just for the record, does it matter how the base stations are oriented, i.e. status LED at top/bottom/left/right?

Thanks again,

-Marty

The orientation does not matter, even upside down. 

Archived