Barrel distortion adjustment

squeak

Hi,

Out of curiosity i've fitted a set of the GearVR lenses, the difference in sweet spot and improvement in sharpness is absolutely amazing. The only drawback is the barrel distortion at the edge of the image, resulting in a sense of extra 'motion' when moving the HMD around.

In all other Vive products this is resolved/adjusted via the Steam 'lighthouse_console.exe' change process. However, this is not applicable to the Cosmos.

So - my question is: where is the equivalent place to make such changes on the Cosmos, assuming there is one?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 3

On 7/25/2020 at 12:58 AM, squeak said:

Hi,

Out of curiosity i've fitted a set of the GearVR lenses, the difference in sweet spot and improvement in sharpness is absolutely amazing. The only drawback is the barrel distortion at the edge of the image, resulting in a sense of extra 'motion' when moving the HMD around.

In all other Vive products this is resolved/adjusted via the Steam 'lighthouse_console.exe' change process. However, this is not applicable to the Cosmos.

So - my question is: where is the equivalent place to make such changes on the Cosmos, assuming there is one?

Thanks in advance!

I'm interested as well. I just tried my old Samsung Odyssey for three hours which looked really clear and was able to read text easily without any glasses (which amazed me) so to try to improve the comfort and overall visual experience while using the Cosmos (mainly because of the tiny sweet spot) I'm thinking of doing the lens mod upgrade as my warranty period is nearly up anyway (wow it's been nearly a year). Also try the forums on F.B. and Reddit or one of the people who have done Video tutorials on how to do it on YouTube as you're more likely to get a supportive response to this particular topic. G.L

Fink.

• 6 months later...

I would avoid using any software hacks.  Just try adjusting your IPD and play with your faceplate placement a bit.  I found I needed to take IPD inwards ~ 1.5-2mm and this helped a lot.  I've been using the Gear VR lens mod (bought it from Etsy) without any problems.

• 4 months later...